Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a SSD replacement kit fix SMART issues?

I get SMART notices when trying to upgrade a late 2014 Mac mini to Monterey.

That is, it won’t upgrade, because the installer reports SMART problems. (Backup, replace the drive etc.) There should be no other issues as I have an identical Mac mini which has moved onwards and upwards to Monterey without any problems at all.

If I replace the SSD, will that fix the SMART issues?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 6:08 AM

SMART is a built in reporting structure in all modern drives, whether they are SSD or HDD. They report all matter of data about the drive so as to warn of impending issues. The fact that there are SMART errors being reported is general a good indicator that the drive is near failure or is actually beginning to fail.

So, back up all data on the drive, replace the drive, re-install macOS and proceed with updating or you can just create a bootable Monterey installer on another Mac and use it and install directly on the new drive.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 6:08 AM in response to Johnnie-99

SMART is a built in reporting structure in all modern drives, whether they are SSD or HDD. They report all matter of data about the drive so as to warn of impending issues. The fact that there are SMART errors being reported is general a good indicator that the drive is near failure or is actually beginning to fail.

So, back up all data on the drive, replace the drive, re-install macOS and proceed with updating or you can just create a bootable Monterey installer on another Mac and use it and install directly on the new drive.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Does a SSD replacement kit fix SMART issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.