Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App that I deleted from my iPhone, won't reinstall!

I had to delete my Podcasts app, as there appeared to be an issue. When I went to reinstall it from the App Store, it just wants to Open, as though the App is already installed. I can't find the app on the phone, I can only use it if on wifi as I have very little 4G or 5G signal and data usage. I generally use it when travelling, listening to downloads. How do I reload it?

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 9:32 AM

Hi JohnfromBanbury,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with redownloading the Podcast app on your iPhone. We're happy to provide some information to assist.

If you're seeing the option "Open" it's likely already installed on your iPhone. We're happy to help you locate it. First, when completing a search on your iPhone are you able to view the Podcast app in the list of the apps installed on your device? If needed, the article here can help: Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can also check your App Library with the steps here: Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone You can check the section "Find, hide, and remove pages on your Home Screen" to see if the app is hidden or on a different screen. We'd also recommend checking the section "Change where new apps get downloaded" to see if the app was specifically redownloaded to the App Library only.

If you locate the app in your App Library you can tap and hold the app to drag back to the Home screen.

Best!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 9:32 AM in response to JohnfromBanbury

Hi JohnfromBanbury,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with redownloading the Podcast app on your iPhone. We're happy to provide some information to assist.

If you're seeing the option "Open" it's likely already installed on your iPhone. We're happy to help you locate it. First, when completing a search on your iPhone are you able to view the Podcast app in the list of the apps installed on your device? If needed, the article here can help: Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can also check your App Library with the steps here: Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone You can check the section "Find, hide, and remove pages on your Home Screen" to see if the app is hidden or on a different screen. We'd also recommend checking the section "Change where new apps get downloaded" to see if the app was specifically redownloaded to the App Library only.

If you locate the app in your App Library you can tap and hold the app to drag back to the Home screen.

Best!

Nov 1, 2021 2:22 PM in response to JohnfromBanbury

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear you were able to re-download the Podcast app. If you're looking for other ways to ensure you're not using data when not needed, we'd also recommend checking for the Wi-Fi assist feature. You can find this bay navigating to Settings > Cellular or Settings and scrolling down to the bottom of the page to ensure it's off. More details about the feature can be found here: About Wi-Fi Assist

You can also adjust the cellular access for specific apps using the article here: Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad

If there's anything we can help with in the future, be sure to start a new post to Apple Support Communities.

Have a great one!

Nov 1, 2021 8:12 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thank you for getting back to me.

I did use your advice, but I couldn't 'refind' the app on the iPhone but it did open and I could see all the podcasts I expected, however when I turned off wifi and 4G I could not open the Podcast App, which told me, regardless of anything else, the app itself was not 'on' my iPhone - I must be being opened 'virtually', or whatever.

So I went to the 2nd step above and looked in the App library with wifi and 4G back on. I was now able to find the app and I decided to delete it from within the App Library, which appeared to work after a few seconds delay.

I then went to the App Store again and this time I did have the option to re-download the Podcast App and it is now working on my iPhone, and in a position I can find with other entertainment apps.

However, being told about the Search feature (which I was unaware of until now) is a very useful function and does rather bypass the need to put apps into specific folders. However, until the 4G or 5G network is improved and my mobile supplier stops charging the earth for data, I will need to download files to my devices.

App that I deleted from my iPhone, won't reinstall!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.