Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey - Screen Saver does not work for photos

Mac OS Monterey - Screen Saver does not work for photos. Same on iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 10:30 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see which screensavers work or not. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 10:30 AM in response to colonel15

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see which screensavers work or not. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 17, 2021 9:40 AM in response to fredfrommccormick

I seem to be experiencing the same problem with my 2017 Intel Retina Macbook Pro.

What I noticed though, is when the screensaver activates, it shows the first picture very (very! almost black) dimly. When I then clicked the trackpad/moved the mouse, my profile login picture appears and the picture screensaver does initiate after that...

Hope this helps anyone tech-savvy enough :)

Nov 23, 2021 6:32 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

I have this same problem. Bought a Mac in May of 2020, shortly before the new M1 chip came out. Since the update to Monterey my screen saver doesn’t work. My kids and I love seeing our pictures on there, so this is a major bummer. At least it doesn’t adversely effect the functionality of my Mac. Hope they come up with an update that fixes it soon.

Mac OS Monterey - Screen Saver does not work for photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.