Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Install failing

I have an early 2015 13-in MacBook pro. It was having kernel panics galore so I tried to update first my Catalina and then to Monterey. All attempts fail toward the end. I have erased my hard drive, connected directly to Ethernet, plugged in, and in recovery mode and it still won't finish the install.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:40 PM

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

When you erased the drive did you erase the "Macintosh HD" volume or the whole physical drive? It is best to erase the whole physical drive in order to recreate the partition table and all the APFS volumes within the Container.

You can also try installing macOS to an external drive in case the internal SSD is failing. Plus it may allow you to access any installation or Kernel Panic logs from the internal SSD.

Make sure all external devices are disconnected in case one of them is causing the problem.

Try booting into Safe Mode. If Safe Mode works, then run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

FYI, for future reference it is usually better to figure out the source of Kernel Panics rather than upgrading macOS which then introduces a whole lot more problems in troubleshooting. Kernel Panics are due to either a hardware issue, or with some third party software, or a connected external device.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 4:40 PM in response to Ttianna

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

When you erased the drive did you erase the "Macintosh HD" volume or the whole physical drive? It is best to erase the whole physical drive in order to recreate the partition table and all the APFS volumes within the Container.

You can also try installing macOS to an external drive in case the internal SSD is failing. Plus it may allow you to access any installation or Kernel Panic logs from the internal SSD.

Make sure all external devices are disconnected in case one of them is causing the problem.

Try booting into Safe Mode. If Safe Mode works, then run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

FYI, for future reference it is usually better to figure out the source of Kernel Panics rather than upgrading macOS which then introduces a whole lot more problems in troubleshooting. Kernel Panics are due to either a hardware issue, or with some third party software, or a connected external device.

Oct 29, 2021 11:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've gotten various messages, but mostly that the install failed, the download failed, or the personalization failed. I erased my disk, so there should definitely be enough room. I don't have the panic logs from before I erased everything and did the recovery stuff. And since I can't reinstall the OS now, I can't even start the system to try to trigger another kernel panic.

Monterey Install failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.