Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone recommend Cocktail Utility?

Does anyone recommend Cocktail Utility? I used it for years, but have not updated it. I just received a notice about an update for Big Sur. Does anyone still use it.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM

6 replies

Oct 29, 2021 3:02 PM in response to fcgiles

It used to have tools that were occasionally useful 10 to 15 years ago. I have never found a use for those tools in at least 15 years

It also had the capability to enable some hidden preferences. If those are useful to you, then it would be OK to use for that.

There is never a need for anything that claims to optimize, protect, clean, or otherwise maintain your Mac.

Oct 29, 2021 3:23 PM in response to fcgiles

fcgiles wrote:

Does anyone recommend Cocktail Utility? I used it for years, but have not updated it. I just received a notice about an update for Big Sur. Does anyone still use it.

These types of utilities cause nothing but problems on the contemporary macOS.

It is always advise to Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

What issues are you currently having?

Oct 29, 2021 4:32 PM in response to leroydouglas

No problems; I still have it on my iMac and my 2013 MBP even though I haven’t used it in years. I have a new MBP coming next week (been waiting for a new one for over a year), and I just wondered if I still needed it. My Macs last a long time with care and they worked well for years. I just want to keep up to date on any utility that will help it run smoothly for many years. Thanks for your reply and information; I am going to remove it from my computers. Any utility that you recommend for the new MBP?

Oct 29, 2021 4:39 PM in response to fcgiles

Yes, I can recommend it.

I first used macOS Cocktail about 17 years ago on Tiger (10.4) systems when I was a Mac system administrator. It was very helpful then and is still helpful. I have found it to be one of the few such utilities that has stood the test of time, is stable and useful for a variety of purposes. It has been helpful to me on every Mac & release of OSX/macOS that I have ever used, including Catalina. (I have not yet upgraded any of my Macs to Big Sur or Monterey but Cocktail is available for them.)

You will hear a lot of negative advice about nearly all Mac utilities, much of which is justified. But I do not believe that Mac OS Cocktail is in that category. It has never created any problems on my Macs and is definitely not malware.

That said, I only run Cocktail perhaps 1x or 2x yearly ... and I mostly use the Pilot function to ensure that logs & caches are effectively cleaned up before I do a macOS update or upgrade. (And I have customized certain Pilot options to match specific things on my system.) I have also used the Interface function to customize certain General, Finder, Dock, Login & Misc. features that can be done via Terminal but would be difficult and imho risky to do via Terminal.

Does anyone recommend Cocktail Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.