Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro version 10.6 extremely slow!!!

I installed the 10.6 FCPX update on my 27" iMac (late 2015) and my editing has been extremely slow ever since. If I just add one transition between two clips, I have to wait a minute or two (with the rotating beachball) before I can do anything else.

I also tried it on my MacBook Pro (16" 2019) and it acts the same way. Very annoying and counter productive.

I also just updated both machines with the macOS Monterey version 12.0.1 iOS, however I was having the problems before I did that.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 12:38 PM

Similar questions

121 replies

Nov 24, 2021 1:11 PM in response to AnthonyE89

IS FCP 10.6.1 A FIX FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS OF FCP 10.6.0? Let's bring clarity to this issue.

ONLY FCP 10.6.1 user comments, please. We all appreciate the problems with 10.6.0 which have already been discussed on this thread.

I have been following/commenting on this thread but don't have a complete picture of how the latest FCP 10.6.1 upgrade is performing. Sounds like it is still a mixed picture. We all know 10.6.0 does poorly on machines that don't meet the Apple minimum requirements below as well as some that actually do meet them in some cases.

(See below for Apple's FCP 10.6.1 minimum requirements)

What experiences are users having with the 10.6.1 upgrade who meet or exceed Apple's minimum requirements below?

It seems some say it's better yet others still have problems. Can people provide insights on their 10.6.1 upgrades and state what machine, year, RAM and VRAM, chipset/# of cores (Intel, M1, M1+) you have on your machine? This information is critical for everyone's understanding of what is going on. Again, not interested in 10.6.0 experiences which have been repeatedly reported on here already on this thread. ( I have them as well but I am on a machine that doesn't meet the Apple stated requirements below. The new maxed-out machine is on its way to me).

This might add some clarity to the discussion. If you read the requirements for FCP 10.6.1 from Apple (see below), and don't meet them, then your problems are to be expected and feedback from you is not being requested. Only FCP 10.6.1 users thank you.

But if you DO meet the minimum requirements below and still have problems with 10.6.1 please report them here.

It will help all of us.

FCP 10.6.1 Minimum System Requirements

• macOS 11.5.1 or later
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing)
  • Metal-capable graphics card
  • 1GB of VRAM recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing1
  • 3.8GB of available disk space

Nov 11, 2021 9:10 AM in response to MoonMike

Using an 2019 iMac w/Intel, and cant go 5 minutes without FCP 10.6 crashing.. I have seen (many) reports on other forums that it's happening just as much on M1 as Intel.

**Please everyone be sure to report this issue to the Final Cut team! Complaining about it here is no guarantee that the FCP team will hear about how many people are having this issue... You can report it directly to the FCP team here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Jan 10, 2022 6:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help me.

First I have to say, I am similar with all these effects and used them many times and I have an idea how long FCP takes to render these in a similar timeline. It had to be max half an hour in this case. Let say a little more. But 2,5 hours!? Absolutely no. I've made much more complex edits & exports before.

Second, I've let EtreCheck prepare a report (which is attached). But if I can read the results correctly, there is no reason for such a render-scandal :) The machine is new (~1 week) and many software are not even launched once yet. Because I am in a hurry to finish this movie, I could no nearly nothing else.

At least: I am using FCP since years. The last updates have made the SW a little shaky. More sudden crashes after very simple moves etc.. And after the last update the SW is unacceptable unreliable. I have worked sometimes weeks long without any problem before (on a Mac Pro Late 2013 cylinder). I am sure that current FCP version has basic problems and we here or EtreCheck or anyone else cannot solve these. :)

I hope I am very very wrong and my system has problems which I have to solve.

Thanks again & regards.

umit

Here the EtreCheck report:

Jan 26, 2022 1:06 AM in response to rebrags99

Hi All, I reported directly to Apple here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html. I'm in the middle of a miniseries and pulling my hair out. In the activity monitor the CPU percentage that FCP uses shoots up to 100% at any simple operation like dragging a clip. I only have some adjustment layers with some color and LUT info. For the ret no heavy noise reduction puligns or whatsoever. Apple help!

Nov 13, 2021 9:43 PM in response to rebrags99

I am running a brand new 16" M1 Max - 1Tb - 32gb Unified Memory. I have the same issue as others have described when launching. I also had this issue on my 2016 MBP.

Here are some observations I've made:

• The M1 Max cut the load time in about half or less of my 2016. So the raw horsepower does seem to help.
  • Once things are loaded, for the most part things are snappy, but occasionally it will feel the need to "load" an event when I click on it and it will then take the 30-240 seconds.
  • When watching Activity monitor during this time, the system is not taxed at all when FCPX is just "Loading...."
  • In Activity Monitor, Final Cut Pro Process says "Not responding..." when it is stuck at the loading screen.
  • I spend TONS of time removing/updating/reinstalling plugins, and If I load a blank project it opens instantly. So therefore, the plugins just existing does not cause the problem.
  • I also created a new library and copied all of the events over and created a blank Project. If I keep all of the event collapsed and then close FCPX and reopen, it loads fast "most" of the time. But then if you expand an event or click into one, you get the slow loading event.
  • It is slow in a similar time frame for a 3gb project vs a 96gb project. So size doesn't appear to matter.

That's it for my observations thus far. I agree with the 10.6 being the likely culprit.

Sorry to burst the bubble of all those hoping that their new M1 Max laptop will save the day.. it helps, but doesn't totally save it.

Nov 4, 2021 12:00 PM in response to rebrags99

I'm having this problem, too, and also 10.6 unexpectedly crashing [2020 27" iMac, 128G RAM, 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB, running OS 12.0.1]. Spoke with Apple Support twice yesterday — and please know, I love the Apple Support Staff. But in true stereotypical IT fashion, they want to shift the cause of the issue onto the user, i.e., not doing something right, or problems with AVCHD files and 3rd party plug-ins, etc.

Seems to me that if the previous version of FCPX was working just fine with all those conditions, and yet not when updated to 10.6, then that's a problem with the update (or maybe the interface with Monterey, or a combination of the two). I asked that the issue be kicked upstairs to Engineering for a closer look.

This is indeed frustrating, especially when so many of us are on deadlines. One would think that an update would be rigorously tested and spanked before release, even using 3rd party plug-ins and AVCHD like we do in the real world.

Here's one work-around: turning off Background Rendering in FCPX Preferences stops 10.6 from crashing. You'll have to render manually — Render All in the Modify tab. But unfortunately, that doesn't affect the sluggish, snail-like issues.

And of course, we still have the issue which started with the 10.4.9 update where previously rendered material has to be re-rendered every time you launch FCPX. Why does it lose the link with those pre-existing render files? Another colossal waste of time, especially when the clock is ticking and clients are breathing down your neck. If FCPX wants to compete in the Pro market, then these types of issues have to be addressed and fixed ASAP.

For now, I'll re-install the earlier version of FCPX from Time Machine and use that until 10.6 is re-spanked and ready to go.

Cheers and thanks!

Nov 8, 2021 2:46 PM in response to rebrags99

I have the same issue with my 2015 MacPro: FXP on Monterrey has made FXP and other apps super slow to the point of unusable. Ironically everything was fine before the Monterrey and FCP 10.6. It has blown my business up because I can’t edit. Even opening FCP is a huge wait. I have ordered a just-released maxed out new 16”MacPro and pray to the Baby Jesus that it isn’t a software issue. That would be $4K down the drain!

Final Cut Pro version 10.6 extremely slow!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.