Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Privacy error message when trying to open websites on MacBook Pro

Would LOVE some help with the following error message (below) when trying to open websites. It has just started to happen, never had this problem before.

I use Google Chrome. All of the sudden, when trying to open websites I get this error message. For some sites, I can click on "Advanced" under the error message and click the web address provided with (unsafe) beside it and proceed to open the website. Other sites, I am totally blocked from. The other problem that has arisen, is that for the sites that I can click through and access, the images won't load.

I've tried to trouble shoot with Google Chrome and settings but to no avail. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. Thank you!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:04 PM

7 replies

Oct 29, 2021 1:30 PM in response to susielynne

Various forms and symptoms of secure certificate expiry have manifested online.

Of a few workarounds, some chose Firefox; as it seems to not have been effected.

• How to download and install Firefox on Mac | Firefox Help

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-download-and-install-firefox-mac

This other discussion (ASC) tells how one of those workarounds could be used

to update certificates for browsers in Mac. Most of those may affect any browser.

• Q: Many websites not loading (el capitan) - Apple Community (answer for some)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253272998?answerId=256123246022#256123246022

The actual sites to get similar new instructions to update website certificates are

online; several have same info. ~ Effects any browser with some of Safari webkit.

Good luck & happy trails!🌻❄️

Oct 29, 2021 2:01 PM in response to K Shaffer

You are amazing - I am SO GRATEFUL for your support. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

This fixed it:

On the 30th of September 2021 the certificates that allow you to connect to various websites expired

you can however download new ones.

Click on the link below,

https://letsencrypt.org/certificates/

Download these two files

ISRG Root X1

Self Signed click on the der to download

And ISRG Root X2

Self signed click on der to download.

Open the Keychain Access app in your Applications> Utility folder.

In the left column highlight System.

Click on File in the menubar and click on Import Items,

select the newly downloaded files in turn and press Open.

Double-click on one of the newly imported certificates, click on the disclosure triangle

and next to When using this certificate: change Use System Defaults to Always Trust.

Do the same for the other certificate.

Restart your mac.

Privacy error message when trying to open websites on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.