Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Save as..." bug in Monterey 12.0.1?

I upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey (12.0.1) this week and worked on a presentation in Keynote (version 11.2). Much to my surprise, whenever I try to save the presentation under a different name using "Save As..." or export it to PDF or Powerpoint using "Export", it either never provides a save dialog box or hangs with the spinning beachball.

Now while you might think this is a Keynote issue, the same behavior is also exhibited by Pages, Numbers, and even the venerable Microsoft Word. Interestingly, applications that save just plain text like TextEdit seem to work fine when I invoked "Save As...". This makes me think this is an OS and not application problem.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling Keynote, reverting Keynote to an earlier version (it updated this week along with Monterey), and I've also completely reinstalled Monterey from scratch. The behavior still persists.

Any ideas what might be the issue here? I'm hoping that the new Monterey 12.1 might fix this, but I'd rather not install the beta until it's released.

-C

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:26 PM

36 replies

Dec 17, 2021 8:29 AM in response to zcar280zx

The reason I asked is because apparently some people affected said that it had helped.

FWIW, I have not seen this problem in my mac, either in 12.0.1 or now in 12.1.

My mac is a 2019 16" MBP (so, still Intel), but there are users suffering from this on Intel and M1 macs, and so far it is still unclear why.

I have used my Mac without external displays, as well as with one, or two external displays, and never I have ever have been affected. There could be a software issue, either in the OS or with third party stuff. Still mysterious.

Dec 1, 2021 9:46 AM in response to cdhowe

I am having these problems - sometimes. My setup is aM1 MBA with a Cintiq (sometimes just a regular Lenovo screen) as external monitor. Most of the time all is fine, but recently I had problems:

• tearing off subwindows from Blender made those windows disappear immediately
  • hitting Save As in Apple Motion, Clip Studio Paint or ZBrush did nothing

Interesting detail: before the problems occurred, I rearranged the monitors in Display preferences. Also, I think I changed which one is the main monitor.

Before that everything was working fine, either in a single monitor setup (MBA internal screen, or just the Cintiq in clamshell mode) or with dual monitors (internal screen + Cintiq)

Oct 30, 2021 9:18 AM in response to John Blanchard1

Thanks for the suggestion and recommending the sysdiagnose command; I hadn't known about that before.

I'm trying logging out of iCloud and back in again before then (I'm currently waiting for the log back in part to complete syncing). It struck me that perhaps a common denominator is that the Save As dialog boxes are trying to access their app folders on iCloud, and maybe those credentials are somehow messed up. We'll see once my documents sync up again.

Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2021 9:15 AM in response to cdhowe

Happy to try to help.

And a couple of more thoughts, depending on your progress.

Are you able to save the file to location that's not tied to iCloud?

In the sysdiagnose, there are couple of places to look that should help diagnose the problem. If nothing else, maybe this will speed up the feedback process?

1) The "crashes_and_spins" folder should contain a spin or hang log related to the application you were using. That should point to the process that's getting stuck.

2) Less user friendly is opening the system_logs.logarchive in Console and searching for errors by filtering on the application name.

I hope this is helpful.

Nov 8, 2021 8:54 AM in response to cdhowe

I have an external monitor and when I make it my "main display" I am experiencing this behavior in Monterey on a new 16" MacBook Pro. Neither Preview or LibreOffice, the only two apps I tried, will "Save" or "Save As." If I make the MacBook the "main display" everything seems to be working fine. I spent 1 1/2 hrs with a level 2 Mac tech last night and uploaded both a video of the behavior and detailed logs of my Mac for submission to the Engineering level at Apple. Hopefully they can figure out the problem and fix it quickly.

As Jon says it has definitely shown up when an external monitor is hooked up, mine being by HDMI not USB-C.

Nov 12, 2021 12:59 AM in response to cdhowe

Whilst on hold with Mac Support and then being transferred to one of their senior technicians I stumbled upon this thread. I found that changing my master screen to MBP in display settings did indeed work for me! I informed the support guy who said he saw that there was one other case reported and a patch would probably be made available "sometime in the future". He understood that this was only a workaround and not a solution however I urge anyone else who finds themselves this thread with the same issue to report it to move it up their priority list. He also said that their engineers keep a close eye on this forum so keep posting!

Nov 18, 2021 3:17 PM in response to cdhowe

Solved the issue by doing a force quit for Excel (Which managed to save to to a bkup file I could restore).

Following the Force quit and restore I can now save new files as expect.

Changing my monitor configuration had no effect. I had no problem saving new files any other Office 365 apps.

I suspect Excel got into a bad memory state. (I have latest versions of Office and Monterey on my M1).

"Save as..." bug in Monterey 12.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.