Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB SuperDrive

Can I use my Apple USB SuperDrive on my New MacBook Pro 16" 2019? If so, why when I plug it into the USB port, nothing happens?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 7:27 PM

Duck_lips Said:

"Apple USB SuperDrive: Can I use my Apple USB SuperDrive on my New MacBook Pro 16" 2019? If so, why when I plug it into the USB port, nothing happens?"

-------

Three Things:

A. Verify the Connection:

See if the SuperDrive is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: About this Mac...
  4. Click: System Report... button
  5. Select: Disc Burning (on the left of screen)
  6. Look For: this SuperDrive

and...

B. Use a USB-A to USB-C Cable:

If there is no USB-C adapter on your computer, then this seems to be the cable you need: mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m) - Apple

and...

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your hard drive may not be being read promptly, so resetting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 7:27 PM in response to Duck_lips

Duck_lips Said:

"Apple USB SuperDrive: Can I use my Apple USB SuperDrive on my New MacBook Pro 16" 2019? If so, why when I plug it into the USB port, nothing happens?"

-------

Three Things:

A. Verify the Connection:

See if the SuperDrive is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: About this Mac...
  4. Click: System Report... button
  5. Select: Disc Burning (on the left of screen)
  6. Look For: this SuperDrive

and...

B. Use a USB-A to USB-C Cable:

If there is no USB-C adapter on your computer, then this seems to be the cable you need: mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m) - Apple

and...

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your hard drive may not be being read promptly, so resetting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be.

Oct 29, 2021 7:33 PM in response to Duck_lips

Hi!

If you go to the Apple USB SuperDrive page ... under support it list MBP all the way up to 2017 only. However, it does show the M1, 2020 as being compatible but not the16 inch...

Did you slide a disk in to see if it spins up?

I stopped using mine years ago... I currently use a cheap $25 Lenovo external DVD drive

@TheLittles beat me to what I was going to say...

Apple USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.