Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do M1 Pro and Max MacBook Pro have 20Gbit/s USB3.2?

Does anyone know if the Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4 ports on the new M1 Pro and M1 Max 14" and 16" 2021 MacBook Pros support USB3.2 Gen2x2? They must support 10Gbit/s USB3.2 Gen2x1, but Gen2x2, which is 20Gbit/s, is optional to implement in the USB 4 standard, and I don't think has been supported by any previous model of Mac.

There are some good value 20Gbit/s USB3.2 SSD drives available, but I'll buy something else for expansion if they'll only run at 10Gbit/s.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 5:46 AM

jilbert wrote:

Does anyone know if the Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4 ports on the new M1 Pro and M1 Max 14" and 16" 2021 MacBook Pros support USB3.2 Gen2x2? They must support 10Gbit/s USB3.2 Gen2x1, but Gen2x2, which is 20Gbit/s, is optional to implement in the USB 4 standard, and I don't think has been supported by any previous model of Mac.

There are some good value 20Gbit/s USB3.2 SSD drives available, but I'll buy something else for expansion if they'll only run at 10Gbit/s.

Tech specs— https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/specs/

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 5:46 AM in response to jilbert

jilbert wrote:

Tech specs— https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-14-and-16/specs/

Nov 5, 2021 6:46 AM in response to jilbert

Why do you need to know this? The speed will vary with different SSD’s, different size SSD, the amount of data stored in the SSD, and different kinds of data. Not all SSD’s have the same read/write speed. My internal late 2013 SSD transfers at about 390 Mb per sec(megabytes is 1/8 of that). But my 512 GB SSD on my new M1Pro has been clocked by others at 5200 mb per second.

If you don’t like the transfer speeds on a mac then buy a PC. Lots of people do and never know the difference.

Nov 5, 2021 7:28 AM in response to zarathu

Why? Because we want to know. Just that. For instance, Kingston XS2000 Portable SSD

https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/us/ssd/xs2000-portable-usb-c-solid-state-drive

delivers around 1,000 MB/s on older Macs, yet it should deliver around 2,000 MB/s on computers supporting USB3.2 Gen2x2. There is a huge 2x difference. Search google and you will find real-world and other benchmarking confirming that. That is why we want to know if the new Macs support it.

Nov 7, 2021 4:27 AM in response to ApMaX

Yes, exactly.

I didn't want to pay the extra $400 to upgrade from 1TB to 2TB on the M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro I've just ordered, and I am wondering what the cheapest way to get near-internal SSD speeds is. It seems that Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD enclosures deliver over 2,000 Mbit/s, giving speeds matching the previous generation of Macs' internal SSDs, but have the disadvantage of not being compatible with USB, so you can't plug them into a USB-only computer to transfer files. It looks like USB4 NVMe enclosures should be good, since they do offer backwards compatibility with USB, but they're only just coming on the market and, like the Tunderbolt 3 enclosures, are relatively expensive at $100+ for the enclosure alone.

Do M1 Pro and Max MacBook Pro have 20Gbit/s USB3.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.