Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of keyboard shortcuts (text replacement) after iPadOS 15.1 update

After updating to iPadOS 15.1 all the keyboard text replacements were deleted and replaced with a single entry: omw for “On my way! “. I used to have around 500 replacements defined and there doesn’t seem to be a way to get them back. I have screen shots of what they were because a previous iOS update also destroyed them before. I went to re-create the text replacements but if I delete the omw entry and create any new ones, and save them, soon after they are all deleted and again reset to just the single omw entry.

How can I get text replacements to work again so they are retained instead of being wiped and replaced with the default omw entry?

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 7:30 AM

There is nothing to br done, I’m afraid.

I have had this happen to me, as well, on a few occassions.

Best thing to do protect those actual keyboard replacement texts is to just copy them to another text or notes app ( Apple OR third party app ) and make sure that the data on these other apps get backed up to places, like Apple iCloud, a full computer ( part of a full backup to Apple iCloud AND/OR a full backup to a Mac computer or Windows PC ) and/or backup to other online, offsite data storage/backup services, like Google Drive/Docs, BOX, DropBox, and other similar services, as this issue CAN happen, again, at any time, for any rewson, in the future.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 7:30 AM in response to nonevisible

There is nothing to br done, I’m afraid.

I have had this happen to me, as well, on a few occassions.

Best thing to do protect those actual keyboard replacement texts is to just copy them to another text or notes app ( Apple OR third party app ) and make sure that the data on these other apps get backed up to places, like Apple iCloud, a full computer ( part of a full backup to Apple iCloud AND/OR a full backup to a Mac computer or Windows PC ) and/or backup to other online, offsite data storage/backup services, like Google Drive/Docs, BOX, DropBox, and other similar services, as this issue CAN happen, again, at any time, for any rewson, in the future.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Oct 30, 2021 7:36 AM in response to nonevisible

Screenshots are just pretty pictures/images.

When you create a actual text replacement, this time around, also copy the text to some other text/document/notes app.

That way you can simply cut and paste text back without having to constantly re-type it all back in.

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume up button.

2. Then immediately press and release the volume down button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

Oct 30, 2021 2:49 PM in response to nonevisible

Thanks for your assistance but it hasn’t solved the problem: the iPad won’t remember any text replacements except the omw default.

I tried the soft reset (hold on/off button, at top right) and move slider when it appears, and later also hard reset (hold on/off button and home button, at bottom centre, together).

in both cases I found that the omw shortcut was the only one in text replacements. I deleted this and added some others, saving each one and all were listed in text replacements as you would expect.

I opened Notes and confirmed the replacements were working. I turned off the iPad with a short press on the on/off button, and then woke it up later by pressing the home button and entering the access code. I found that opening Notes and entering the replacement shortcuts had no effect and checking in the text replacement settings I found that they were all gone and the only entry was the omw shortcut which I had previously deleted.

It seems like something is resetting the text replacements to a default installation state, which I guess includes omw.

Any ideas how to solve this?

I really don’t want to have to reset to factory settings and restore from backup as this is an enormous hassle because the backup doesn’t save everything so you have to manually do a lot of prep work required to save app layouts, settings, account details and passwords just to be able to recreate the way things were at the backup point. Plus I may lose apps I bought and still use that are no longer in the App Store.

Oct 30, 2021 3:16 PM in response to nonevisible

I have no clue as to what is going on with your iPad.

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

You may havd no choice, but to backup, erase, and restore this iPad

If you are using apps that have been abandoned and removed from the Apple iOS App Store, if you wish to save all of your apps that are inside your iPad look at a full computer application called iMazing.

iMazing.

https://imazing.com/

This app works pretty much the way older versions of iTunes used to work before iTunes 12.7.

Loss of keyboard shortcuts (text replacement) after iPadOS 15.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.