Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

14.8.1 Download/Install Failed

iPhone 6s.

Before 14.8.1 was available I tried to install ios 15 from my PC using iTunes. It would blue screen my PC (Windows 10) during download. I had latest updates for Windows installed and the latest iTunes installed.

When I saw that 14.8.1 update was available I tried to download it to my iPhone but it either says download failed or install failed. There's plenty of space on my iPhone for this update.

I have a feeling that maybe

my iPhone thinks iOS 15 is in process although it never installed? Is there anything I can clear out or reset so I can get 14.8.1 installed? Because as of right now I can't update anything.

I've attached both messages I get when I try to download/install 14.8.1. I get one or the either message when I try to download it.

Thank you.

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 9:26 AM

11 replies

Nov 2, 2021 12:33 AM in response to Volvo_Dude

Hi,

Lets start from the bottom, so to speak. The iTunes blue screening your PC is something that worries me.

From where did you install iTunes from?

A) Apple website

B) Microsoft store

Can you uninstall iTunes on your PC and install it again. (use newest version possible, or be sure to update one you will install to most recent one)

If that won't help try different download

• if You used Microsoft Store version uninstall it and use the standalone installer.

Apple - Support - Downloads

and vice versa:

• If You used standalone installer, uninstall it and use Microsoft Store version.

Connect your iPhone to PC and initiate update again.

Nov 3, 2021 9:20 AM in response to Volvo_Dude

Hi Volvo_Dude,

Well no, 4GB of ram is not the issue here, is actually either your SSD or system corrupted file.

Windows DPC Watchdog Violations are internal sytem/hardware problems, altho this is not the Windows forum, I can give You some tips to check out ( I was Windows guy since 3.11 all the way to win10):

First and foremost check if there is a firmware update for your SSD disk. (and update it ofc.)

second thing is to check your system files:

To get started, open the Command Prompt program with administrative privileges. Next, in the Command Prompt program window, type:

CHKDSK C: /F /R and then press Enter.

it will tell You that disk is buisy and if you want to scan after reboot -> choose yes

Reboot your PC

after that there is SFC scan:

open the Command Prompt program with administrative privileges

Next, type:

SFC /scannow

and then press Enter.

Then check if You can update your iPhone via iTunes.

Nov 2, 2021 3:39 PM in response to Buzzraider

Hi.

I've already downloaded iTunes and installed it manually multiple times. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I even installed the latest version that was today. Didn't help.

I'm getting Windows DPC Watchdog Violations.

I can see that iTunes is downloading the update, but it appears to be caching it in RAM rather than writing it to the Hard Drive because the file stays at "0" on the HD as the download progresses in iTunes. This is a 5g file. I have 4g of RAM on my laptop. That might be part of the issue.

14.8.1 Download/Install Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.