Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the sound on my macbook is distorted, how do I check that the soundcard is working ok please?

When I listen to a podcast or music on my macbook, the sound is very muffled/distorted and I can't hear it clearly at all. I've gone through the hardware fault detection process and it's not showing an issue. Can anyone help please?

I'm using Mojave 10.14.6 as I don't think I have enough memory to upgrade to the latest software. Not sure if that would make a difference...

Thanks so much for any advice.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 2:18 PM

@Rafael Scheid has excellent advice for testing the sound with the headphones. If the headphones sound good, then the laptop's speakers are bad and need replaced (I've had to replace a large number of speakers on the 2013-2015 MBPros for sound distortion). If the headphones also have the same issue, then you likely have some sort of software or configuration issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Gollydeen

@Rafael Scheid has excellent advice for testing the sound with the headphones. If the headphones sound good, then the laptop's speakers are bad and need replaced (I've had to replace a large number of speakers on the 2013-2015 MBPros for sound distortion). If the headphones also have the same issue, then you likely have some sort of software or configuration issue.

Oct 30, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Gollydeen

Does it only happen to certain apps or all around when playing content? And what about wired headphones?

It could be faulty speakers, I believe.

Please, tell us what Mac model/year you have. Check at the Apple logo > About this Mac.

About compatibility with newer versions of macOS

macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Oct 30, 2021 2:46 PM in response to Rafael Scheid

Hi Rafael thanks so much for your speedy reply. I've just tried listening with wired headphones and the sound is fine so you are right, it does indeed look like my speakers are faulty. Guess that means a trip to Apple to repair/replace. Hope it won't be too costly...

I have a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2015.

Thanks again - really helpful response :)

the sound on my macbook is distorted, how do I check that the soundcard is working ok please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.