You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages never finishes index

So I am trying to delete photos in Messages. I want to select and delete all the photos sent to me in a particular text stream. I select them and then delete. They seem to be removed but I get the message “more phots will be show. once messages finishes indexing” and it never finishes indexing. This message always appears when I delete photos from a message stream. How do I force the indexing to complete or clear this?

iPhone 12

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 12:46 PM

Hello Stephen435.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities and for sharing these details with us. It sounds like you're getting prompted "photos and more will be shown once Messages finishes indexing". However, it never completes. We can understand how this would be an issue. Allow us to investigate this issue and assist in any way we can.

First, we'd like to recommend some basic steps you can try. Force close the Messages app and then restart your iPhone:

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you'll want to make sure your device is fully updated on its iOS version. If you do have pending updates, the following resources can guide you through the update process:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, if you navigate to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Messages, is this feature enabled?

Feel free to keep us posted on your results. Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2021 12:46 PM in response to stephen435

Hello Stephen435.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities and for sharing these details with us. It sounds like you're getting prompted "photos and more will be shown once Messages finishes indexing". However, it never completes. We can understand how this would be an issue. Allow us to investigate this issue and assist in any way we can.

First, we'd like to recommend some basic steps you can try. Force close the Messages app and then restart your iPhone:

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, you'll want to make sure your device is fully updated on its iOS version. If you do have pending updates, the following resources can guide you through the update process:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, if you navigate to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Messages, is this feature enabled?

Feel free to keep us posted on your results. Cheers.

Nov 2, 2021 5:13 PM in response to stephen435

Hey there!

Thanks for updating us. If the troubleshooting steps we suggested didn't help, you might want to consider reaching out to Apple Support for assistance. They might have to investigate this issue further with you. Just in case, you can use the link below to reach them:

Get Support - Apple

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Cheers.

Messages never finishes index

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.