Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import photos into my current Mac from a Time Machine backup?

I'm trying to just import old photos from time machine backups onto my current computer. Is that possible? If so, how?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 3:45 PM

Create a folder within your pictures folder to receive the restored library

Enter time machine.

Navigate to the library you want to restore and the date you want to restore it from. Right click (or ctrl click) the library, and choose "restore xxx to..."

Then choose the folder you've just created and it will be restored back to that empty folder.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 3:45 PM in response to casademurphy

Create a folder within your pictures folder to receive the restored library

Enter time machine.

Navigate to the library you want to restore and the date you want to restore it from. Right click (or ctrl click) the library, and choose "restore xxx to..."

Then choose the folder you've just created and it will be restored back to that empty folder.

Nov 13, 2021 7:55 AM in response to casademurphy

So this drive has a time machine backup on it which is different from the backup set you are using now. Correct?

If so, go to time machine perferences, click "select disk" and then choose the disk with the backup set on it. Also turn off "backup automatically" if you don't want to make any further backups to this disk while you have it selected - I'd suggest you don't want that.

Then when entering time machine, you should be able to browse the backups made to that disk.

After restoring the library you want to recover, go back to preferences and select your normal time machine drive, and re-enable "backup automatically"

How do I import photos into my current Mac from a Time Machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.