Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to exclude the trash folder from time machine backup with Big Sur?

How does one exclude the trash folder from a time machine backup in Big Sur (MacOS 11.6). I am using a Mac mini with the M1 chip (Does that have any bearing on the issue? I hope not.).

I have seen numerous variation on "you will see a list of items that are Excluded from backups. If you want to add additional items to be Excluded from Time Machine backups, click on the + (plus) button at the bottom of the list and use the Finder interface to navigate and Choose the file(s) that you want to Exclude. When you do this, the file(s) will now appear on the list of Excluded items."

The rub with this is I can not even see the trash folder, hence I can not add it to the list.

I did find the invisible trash folder in /Users/<username>/Trash via the "Go to Folder" command. I dragged that Trash folder into the sidebar, but I still could not get that Trash folder into the Exclude list on time machine.

And note, I am not talking about adding a trash folder to mail.

Anybody know how to do this?

Of course a side question is if Time Machine even backs up the Trash folder.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 3:37 PM

Apparently my issue is an undocumented (well documented really ... But who knew?) feature. See https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/exclude-files-from-a-time-machine-backup-mh15622/11.0/mac/11.0

At then end of the note it states:

"Excluded items still appear in Time Machine local snapshots.

Important: When performing a backup, Time Machine excludes system files and apps installed during macOS installation. If your system is damaged, you must first reinstall macOS on your Mac, then use Migration Assistant to transfer information from a Time Machine backup."

This also does verify statements about System files and Trash not being backed up -- At least in the main backup.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 3:37 PM in response to AnotherPetah

Apparently my issue is an undocumented (well documented really ... But who knew?) feature. See https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/exclude-files-from-a-time-machine-backup-mh15622/11.0/mac/11.0

At then end of the note it states:

"Excluded items still appear in Time Machine local snapshots.

Important: When performing a backup, Time Machine excludes system files and apps installed during macOS installation. If your system is damaged, you must first reinstall macOS on your Mac, then use Migration Assistant to transfer information from a Time Machine backup."

This also does verify statements about System files and Trash not being backed up -- At least in the main backup.

Oct 31, 2021 7:45 AM in response to AnotherPetah

Looking at past backup folders, the .Trash folder does not exists.

To exclude hidden folders (I'll use Trash as an example):

Drag the hidden folder from the Finder into the Exclude list, not the Sidebar.

You can see the hidden Trash folder opening the Home folder and typing cmd-shift-.

Type the same shortcut to hide the hidden items.

That will only exclude your home user Trash, but that appears to be unnecessary .

Oct 31, 2021 10:16 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply!!!!

The cmd-shift-. worked nicely. I'll have to try to remember that!

Unfortunately I can not drag anything into the exclude list. Nothing. The only way I can add to the exclude list is to click on the + button of the exclude list. This shows the Trash folder however when I select it for exclusion, I am immediately presented with the directory structure of ~/ not of ~/Trash.

This has got to be some permissions thing.

Argh!

Oct 31, 2021 10:45 AM in response to AnotherPetah

That's weird. I can just drag folders into the Exclusion list. Can you drag any folder into that list?

For the Trash, I actually opened the Trash in Finder and dragged the proxy icon in the toolbar (folder icon next to name).

But, I just checked on another Mac and was able to drag the Trash folder into the Exclusion list from the Home folder window.

How to exclude the trash folder from time machine backup with Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.