Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Got Bricked After Mac OS Update

I was updating my 2019 macbook pro 13 in to the new mac Monterey OS. When finished downloading, it said I have to restart my mac, however it suddenly turned off and got bricked. I tried everything but it did not worked.

I went to the apple service center and they said I have to replace the main logic board and it costs $600.

Did anyone had this issue before? And if you did, how much did you paid?

This issue happened while updating the mac OS and it’s not involved with my fault, so I think it’s not reasonable situation for me.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 10:37 AM

Did they attempt to "Revive" and/or "Restore" the T2 firmware? I have seen reports that an OS update/upgrade can sometimes corrupt the T2 firmware. This doesn't require the laptop to actually boot, but it does require the laptop to at least power on. The procedure also requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Edit: You can provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You can also contact Apple corporate to let them know about the issue and your displeasure (Apple may contact you):

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 10:37 AM in response to Gro_H

Did they attempt to "Revive" and/or "Restore" the T2 firmware? I have seen reports that an OS update/upgrade can sometimes corrupt the T2 firmware. This doesn't require the laptop to actually boot, but it does require the laptop to at least power on. The procedure also requires access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Edit: You can provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You can also contact Apple corporate to let them know about the issue and your displeasure (Apple may contact you):

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Dec 4, 2021 4:39 PM in response to james - rancho santa margarita

james - rancho santa margarita wrote:

My 2011 iMac got bricked too and Apple Support would not take responsibility for it. They suggested I take it to a third party repair shop for repair at my expense. I'm very disappointed with Apple. Any ideas how we can escalate this to corporate?

I gave two Apple links in my post above:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253315438?answerId=256200351022#256200351022

Nov 1, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Gro_H

I was unable to install Monterey on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro. After clicking on the “Restart now” button, it gave me an error that it “Could not complete the installation. Try again.” When I opened “Disk Utility” to do a disk repair, only one partition showed up. Attempting to do a NVRAM reset would go into “Recovery Mode” instead of booting up normally and show that it was attempting to do a firmware update, and it showed an error, “The installed hard drive is incompatible." Same thing while in Safe Mode. Doing a SRAM reset did not help any. Despite this problem, I was able to boot up normally into Big Sur.

So Apple authorized taking it to Argosy West for repairs. The only way they could fix the problem and save my data was to uninstall the SSD, install a blank SSD, go into Recovery Mode, finish the firmware update, put my SSD back in, and then Monterey installed normally.

I suspect that the machines that are bricked after attempting to install Monterey is a firmware issue and not a software issue. Possibly installing a blank drive would get past that problem like it did for my MacBook Pro.

I had no problems installing Monterey on my 2020 M1 Mac Mini.

Nov 1, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Edward Durrant

I have a MacBook Pro I7 2019, luckily still under warranty. My laptop has been bricked for two weeks while I've been trying to get a time to bring it into apple. It was also related to this update, it happened during the reboot after the first phase. I do feel they should support folks that have this kind of issue even out of warranty. They create these problems by designing computers that have no repairability, and then bricking them. I like my m1, a lot, which luckily didn't have this issue (it's personal) so I purchased apple care. Apple care is a good purchase for these devices, but I'd like to call out if apple is responsible for the damage, likely in these cases they have a responsibility to support the device. Luckily my intel had 2 months left on warranty. It's not like your dropping your computer, spilling water on it or normal wear and tear. Of course given the nature of the computer it's difficult to prove, but they must keep logs that an update had begun, or at least should.

Speaking as someone that also uses windows and linux there is something to be said for being able to swap out parts and fix stuff, at least for a desktop. These folks are a trillion dollar company they should do the right thing. This is a lot of trouble to put a customer though and apple isn't acer or some crap company. This is why we pay a premium for apple projects. I have a major issue if they require you to buy a new board. Again if it's damage or wear and tear of course I don't want them to support that. I've seen it first hand though the update is doing this. My computer was 9months old and treated well, though used hard (work). My recomendation is to not give up so easily. I will say though this issue isn' t just apple. Windows and Linux laptops are worst these days than apple because at least apple most of the time will take care of you. Desktop is another story. Your can still fix them relatively easily. Anyway I was just reading on this issue saw this and felt like posting. I don't know if it makes you feel any better. but I have tons of empathy for this. I'm sick of this ewaste situation too. It's a joke.

Nov 16, 2021 10:11 PM in response to naviat

My MacBook Pro is a 2015 - long out of warranty. When I called Apple support and told them about my problem, they authorized taking it to a local repair center to get it fixed. I was not charged anything. Even so, it took less than an hour for the tech to resolve the problem and the charge would have been $60. But in my case, the mother board did not need to be replaced. Regardless, this bug is due to an upgrade to Monterey, and I believe that Apple is obligated to do any repairs at no charge since they claim that the upgrade is compatible with your computer.

So when you call Apple Support, be sure to ask for authorization to take it in for repair.

Macbook Pro Got Bricked After Mac OS Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.