Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update and internal SD card slot

I have a macbook pro retina, 15" mid 2015. I have a flush mounted sd card caddy that has all my media and never comes out. After installing the Monterey update 12.0.1 the machine gives me an error message after waking from sleep, about the sd card not being ejected properly. I have never needed to eject this card in the past before sleeping. What's up?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 1:47 PM

How is the card formatted?

Try the following: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Perryb

How is the card formatted?

Try the following: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 15, 2021 11:31 AM in response to LubosF

I was very hopeful, however the new update 12.1 did not fix this problem... MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. I have a flush mounted micro SD tray with a 511.84 GB card inserted in the slot. It is formatted, "Journaled HFS+", and I have been using it for photo, movie and music storage for over a year with no problem. That is until installing the 12.01 and now 12.1 updates (even Monterey 12 worked fine with my config). When the machine sleeps, upon waking up I get a bogus error message, about not ejecting the card before quitting. The card then mounts and appears to be, and works fine, but I am concerned about potential damage to the card. If the machine sleeps through the night in the morning it appears to have periodically attempted addressing the card and there will be 2 or 3 of the same message. I was considering getting a 1TB card and don't want to damage a new card! I have tried all the suggestions in this forum to no avail. Thanks for the rant that probably won't be seen by anybody...

Dec 21, 2021 2:55 AM in response to Perryb

I’m facing the very same issue on my Macbook Pro 13” 2015.

I’ve been using a flush-mount SD card inserted in the slot as “permanent” storage for documents and multimedia files for a long time without any problem until I updated (from macOS Big Sur 11.6.1) to macOS Monterey 12.1.

This must be a software issue or bug in Monterey for sure so let’s push Apple to fix it ASAP in a new macOS version (12.1.1?). Nobody wants to damage their SD cards and loose their data.

Jan 20, 2022 12:12 PM in response to aabdu114

As a work-a-round the only thing that keeps my system working despite the sleep/dismount internal card problem is a utility called "Clean My Drive2" which allows you to click a preference box that keeps the drive mounted. The system still attempts to dismount the drive while the machine sleeps, but when you wake it up, you get the dismount warning but the system instantly mounts the drive. It seems to be working fine without any other problems, you can't keep an application open if it is accessing the drive, it will crash when the drive sleeps/"dismounts" which might cause file corruption -- but just quit appropriate apps before sleeping. I keep all my photos and music/movies on the drive. It would still be much better if they fixed this problem.

Feb 1, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Perryb

I have a related problem. My MacBook takes very long time to boot presumably because of the SD card reader. I have booted in verbose mode (see https://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/08/17/how-to-boot-your-mac-in-verbose-mode/). While booting, it hangs up for a long time and then outputs:

00003D.707082 SSP301460DBDD: AppleUSBHostPort::terminateDevice: destroying 0x05ac/8406/0820 (Internal Memory Card Reader): port is powering off

Unfortunately, I don't have a ready available SD card to test the reader. My MacBook Pro is a 2015 model A1502. Did someone else experience a similar issue?

Monterey update and internal SD card slot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.