Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey 12.0.1 - FaceTime fails upon answer.

After upgrading my 2020 iMac 27" to macOS Monterey (12.0.1), whenever I make or receive a FaceTime call, a "call failed" message appears and hangs up as soon as one participant answers the call.

I reinstalled macOS Monterey but this did not fix the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were you able to resolve the issue.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 10:22 AM

Upon further investigation, it appears that the FaceTime call failure is caused when one uses the iMac speakers as the output device.

Tests using the output device selection of external headphone jack or a bluetooth device does not replicate the call failure.

Hope this helps until Apple addresses a fix in a future update for use case scenario of the

FaceTime Call failure on 2020 iMac 27" to macOS Monterey (12.0.1) when the

selected output device is the internal iMac speakers.

The iMac mic does NOT come into play as the call is successful when the input device selection is either

an external USB mic,

a bluetooth device or

the internal iMac mic

combined with an output device selection of

the external headphone jack or

a bluetooth device.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 10:22 AM in response to díi_chan

Upon further investigation, it appears that the FaceTime call failure is caused when one uses the iMac speakers as the output device.

Tests using the output device selection of external headphone jack or a bluetooth device does not replicate the call failure.

Hope this helps until Apple addresses a fix in a future update for use case scenario of the

FaceTime Call failure on 2020 iMac 27" to macOS Monterey (12.0.1) when the

selected output device is the internal iMac speakers.

The iMac mic does NOT come into play as the call is successful when the input device selection is either

an external USB mic,

a bluetooth device or

the internal iMac mic

combined with an output device selection of

the external headphone jack or

a bluetooth device.

Nov 1, 2021 11:39 AM in response to díi_chan

Hey díi_chan,

We see you're experiencing an issue with making and receiving FaceTime calls. We noticed you reviewed this article If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac. Have you tested a different network? If not, we suggest trying that to ensure it isn't network related.

If it continues, test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac. If it works in safe mode, restart normally and test again.

Take care.

Nov 1, 2021 12:13 PM in response to Sharon_419

Thank you for your reply.

I have done as you suggest and no change

There is another thread of this issue here

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/429383/facetime-call-failed-macos-monterey

This thread explains that the issue seems to be with the internal iMac mic and use of a USB 3.0 mic. When one uses a Bluetooth audio device such as headphones with mic the FaceTime call works.

Jan 3, 2022 6:47 PM in response to prius100

Actually, it didn't on my MBP -- everything continued to work swimmingly well for me, even with 12.01. However, with the 12.1 "update," using my display as the sound input device simply ceased working altogether (even tho I've selected it as such in Settings). Thankfully, it works nicely with my AirPods, but I got spoiled by using the Thunderbolt Display as my audio input without any other connected devices and not having to worry about charge levels on my AirPods. What's a bit of a head scratcher is that after 12.1, using the TBD as the handsfree output device continues to work. However, no joy using the TBD as the sound input device for FaceTime (again, even tho until the upgrade it had worked flawlessly for a long time).

Jan 13, 2022 4:12 PM in response to díi_chan

I have the same problem on a 2017 iMac just upgraded to Monterey. I tried the headphone jack but still unable to answer or make FaceTime (or regular voice only calls). Says call failed. If I connect a Bluetooth speaker then both work as they did before the upgrade to Monterey. I am on 12.1 so it does not seem that this issue is fixed in this version.

macOS Monterey 12.0.1 - FaceTime fails upon answer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.