Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey; Pages Memory Leak?

Since downloading Monterey I receive repeated messages "your system has run out of application memory". This is only occurred since downloading Monterey. When examining activity monitor pages seems to be the main culprit using up 18 GB and more! Is this evidence of a memory leak for Pages with Monterey os? Restart makes no difference.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 9:17 AM

"If you made changes to customize your mouse pointer and specifically the color choice—restore the defaults and compare your results."

@leroydouglas nailed it here for my scenario. I had modified the pointer color in accessibility settings. Once reset, the memory leak has stopped.

note: I was able to keep the existing larger sized cursor

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 9:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

"If you made changes to customize your mouse pointer and specifically the color choice—restore the defaults and compare your results."

@leroydouglas nailed it here for my scenario. I had modified the pointer color in accessibility settings. Once reset, the memory leak has stopped.

note: I was able to keep the existing larger sized cursor

Dec 21, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Deuce33

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

You've installed what most of the long time contributors here consider akin to malware: CleanMyMac. You should uninstall CMM according to the developer's instructions.

Also it's reported that the 12.1 update has fixed the modified pointer issue.

Nov 3, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Rimmo

Rimmo wrote:

Is this evidence of a memory leak for Pages with Monterey os? Restart makes no difference.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2a9f0efd-f736-4367-a0cc-d9136893b6ee

There were some known issues with memory leaks in other applications mentioned..

in the macOS Monterey—

If you made changes to customize your mouse pointer and specifically the color choice—restore the defaults and compare your results.

Change Pointer preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple ...

Oct 31, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Rimmo

Did you open a large Pages document heavily laden with high-resolution images, or other document objects such as PDF objects? I doubt you can draw any conclusion about a Pages memory leak from Activity Monitor.

If this is an 8GB 24-inch iMac, you probably cannot run the full Microsoft suite of applications and other open applications (especially multi-tab browser sessions) concurrently as it would exhaust your available RAM. Much harder to do with a 16 GB RAM model, but not impossible.

Nov 4, 2021 8:07 AM in response to Rimmo

Doing the pointer reset did not help me.

Apple will have to fix this in an update. But.... If you open Activity Monitor in an unused desktop, you can keep an eye on it. if you see a process or an app stealing too much RAM, you can force quit it and it will go back to its normal thing.

Its temporary, but its quite easy to deal with. FYI if WindowServer process is doing it, when you force quit it, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while Monterey puts it all back, and then you will have to sign back in.

Nov 6, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Rimmo

To answer the original question:

As you see, universalaccessd is using way too much memory; it should be around 7-8Mb. The process is related to Accessibility (formerly Universal Access) settings.

For couple of days I’ve been trying different setups mainly with Accessibility settings, and can’t be sure about it but my best guess is that it is not just the mouse pointer colour which triggers the memory leak problem. There must be certain other settings too, perhaps not related to Accessibility. People have had Control Center too chewing way too much memory, so could there be certain options there which also causes the problem to trigger?

Nov 6, 2021 6:55 AM in response to samumon

You like me and almost everyone who uses Monterey has the dreaded memory leak bug.  Apple will fix it eventually.

Before then there is a simple temporary solution.  Presumably you have several desktops on your mac.  I have 11 at the moment.  Go to one you don’t use often and open up Activity Monitor(its in your applications and on every mac).  Leave it open all the time.  Click on the column that tells you the use of memory by system processes and apps.  Highlight(click on) any that look completely out of control, and then click on the little icon with the x in the middle of a circle.  Choose force quit. If its an app it will quit and you will have to restart it.  If its a process(weird names mostly) then it will quit but come back almost instantly in the small size it's supposed to be.  For me about 15 minutes ago I noticed that the most common culprit, Control Center(which normally uses about 26 mb of memory)  was slowly sucking more and was up to 144mb.  Earlier this week I found it at 14 GB.  

You can keep these little buggers from stealing memory by just keeping an eye on them.  Be advised:  if WindowServer is up at 1gb then its probably doing it too, and if you force quit that one, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while the OS puts it back, and then you will have to type in your machine password again.

Hope this helps.  

Monterey; Pages Memory Leak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.