Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Memory Leak

Mac OS 12.2 did not fix the memory leak introduced by every version of Monterey so far. Should I just give up hope?

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:55 AM

Show us a screenshot of the Activity Monitor's Memory view with Safari's info in the window.

Safari uses about 100-120 MB per open window. This is what I get for Safari with Safari (32 windows open), Photos, Activity Monitor and Messages open:

If you're getting more memory used by Safari then tell us if you've installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Additional boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Tim Whitfield

Show us a screenshot of the Activity Monitor's Memory view with Safari's info in the window.

Safari uses about 100-120 MB per open window. This is what I get for Safari with Safari (32 windows open), Photos, Activity Monitor and Messages open:

If you're getting more memory used by Safari then tell us if you've installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Additional boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

Feb 4, 2022 1:10 PM in response to mikeassel

Here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

Monterey Memory Leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.