Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine bugs; can't backup reliabily since Monterey

Is anyone else having issues with Time Machine?

I am trying to start a new backup on a M1 Max Macbook Pro on mac OS Monterey and the first backup took almost 3 days before Time Machine completed the first full backup. For the first three days Time Machine was reporting "Waiting to Complete First Backup" after each backup both automatic and manual.

Now that this first backup is completed, Time Machine has never successfully finished any backup job. Time Machine copies everything, does a "Clean up" or "Finalize" and then once completed, Time Machine reports that the latest backup is still the same as the oldest one (which is that first completed backup).

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 4:32 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and try running Time Machine from there to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 4:32 PM in response to deekay0

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and try running Time Machine from there to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 31, 2021 7:58 PM in response to deekay0

I have the same problem with my brand new 16-inch MacBook Pro and Mac OS Monterey.

What I tried:

• boot in safe mode (as suggested previously)
  • formatting then fresh set up of my external Synology NAS which was the destination of all previous backups
  • back up using wired / wireless connection

Unfortunately nothing helped: the backup is always running just fine, completes to 100%, then clean up and then I still see: Latest backup - None; Oldest backup - None.

Hopefully this problem will attract some attention from Apple.

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad,

Thanks again for another great suggestion.

I tried Safe Boot and reran Time Machine. Unfortunately the result was the same. After the full backup process and after the Cleanup and Finalize phase, Time Machine still reports the same initial backup as the latest and the oldest. The backup was unsuccessful.

I guess there might be a bug. Any idea how I can try to report this to Apple?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2021 8:55 AM in response to deekay0

I'm having the same problem, brand new m1 Pro Macbook Pro won't complete initial Time Machine Backup. I've tried two brand new SDDs, both formatted to APFS. I only have 200GB of data, but the initial backup takes about 30 hours to reach 70% and then crashes.

I now have a support ticket open with Apple. The ticket has been escalated from a first level person to a second level person, but neither have been able to fix the problem, nor do they seem to know about this issue. I'll post an update if we discover a resolution.

Time Machine bugs; can't backup reliabily since Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.