Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private Relay config by app

Is it feasible or planned to configure private relay by app?

I do have some apps I‘d prefer a direct connection for security reasons such as banking apps but others may use the private relay.

If it‘s not yet implemented to turn off/on private relay for each app consider this userstory:

As a user I want to configure Private Relay per App to avoid problems or increase security for certain apps.

Acceptance criteria:

• Private Relay turned on in general for the device/network
  • Particular App has a direct connection without Private Relay
  • Configuration should be done in central App Settings for each app

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:46 AM

Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. We have no knowledge of Apple’s product development or planned release programmes; the Terms of Use that govern participation within the Apple Support Communities disallows speculation.

Apple’s Private Relay service is in beta - and therefore may substantially change or, perhaps, even be withdrawn. It is not available in all regions or geographic areas. Private Relay currently only works for browsing traffic from Safari. There are no per-App settings, or support beyond Safari.

More details of Private Relay can be found here:

About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

Much if what you are attempting to achieve can be achieved using one of the better commercial VPN providers. To be able to define rules on a per-App basis, you will need a VPN client capable of split-tunneling. The native VPN App does support split tunnelling, but does not support on-device configuration; traffic rules would need to be defined and managed from a Mac computer using Apple Configurator 2.

Apple do invite constructive comment and feature requests via their Product Feedback portal:

Product Feedback - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 1:46 AM in response to mriw

Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. We have no knowledge of Apple’s product development or planned release programmes; the Terms of Use that govern participation within the Apple Support Communities disallows speculation.

Apple’s Private Relay service is in beta - and therefore may substantially change or, perhaps, even be withdrawn. It is not available in all regions or geographic areas. Private Relay currently only works for browsing traffic from Safari. There are no per-App settings, or support beyond Safari.

More details of Private Relay can be found here:

About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

Much if what you are attempting to achieve can be achieved using one of the better commercial VPN providers. To be able to define rules on a per-App basis, you will need a VPN client capable of split-tunneling. The native VPN App does support split tunnelling, but does not support on-device configuration; traffic rules would need to be defined and managed from a Mac computer using Apple Configurator 2.

Apple do invite constructive comment and feature requests via their Product Feedback portal:

Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 1, 2021 11:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

I’m aware that I‘d need some kind of split tunneling VPN. I had split tunneling on my Windows 7 beta with DirectAccess transparent VPN to MS CORP around Christmas 2008 already. I’ve build my first IPSec VPN solutions and had to patch and compile a Linux kernel in the late 90th.

I kept the question and my proposal on a low level for this audience.

I’m also aware that Private Relay is still in BETA and hope other users have similar requirements and Apple also reads these threads and takes some of our proposals into account.

Private Relay config by app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.