Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini late 2014 Model - Any Recommended 2.5 Gbps+ Ethernet adapters ?

I would like to know, if anyone has experience of using any ethernet adapters above 1 Gbps with the Mac Mini (late) 2014 model - either Thunderbolt 2 or USB 3 based.

For example, with this model of the Mac Mini, is there anything that is both currently compatible with the USB 3(.0) ports on (this late 2014 model of the Mac) and on similar PC platforms - that supports 2.5 Gbps ethernet or better ?

If you have such experience, are you able to use the device with the "current" Mac OS Sur release on this model of the Mac Mini - and does it require some "hacking" of the security to do so (such as I had to do so with my newly purchased Buffalo LUA4-U3-AGTE).... ?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 7:40 AM

I've given up. Thunderbolt 2 will operate at 10Gbps, but apparently needs an external power source. and the only 10gbps LAN adapter that supports this, according to OWC, is a 900 US$ device.... which is clearly more than the value of my old 2014 (late) Mac mini itself.

3 replies

Mac Mini late 2014 Model - Any Recommended 2.5 Gbps+ Ethernet adapters ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.