Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2015 MacBook Pro would not upgrade to Monterey

I was unable to install Monterey on my 2015 MacBook Pro. After clicking on the “Restart now” button, it gave me an error that it “Could not complete the installation. Try again.” When I opened “Disk Utility” to do a disk repair, only one partition showed up. Attempting to do a NVRAM reset would go into “Recovery Mode” instead of booting up normally and show that it was attempting to do a firmware update, and it showed an error, “The installed hard drive is incompatible." Same thing while in Safe Mode. Doing a SRAM reset did not help any. Despite this problem, I was able to boot up normally into Big Sur.

So Apple authorized taking it to Argosy West, Prescott, AZ, for repairs. The only way they could fix the problem and save my data was to uninstall the SSD, install a blank SSD, go into Recovery Mode, finish the firmware update, put my SSD back in, and then Monterey installed normally.

I suspect that the machines that are bricked after attempting to install Monterey is a firmware issue and not a software issue. Possibly installing a blank drive would get past that problem like it did for my MacBook Pro.

I had no problems installing Monterey on my 2020 M1 Mac Mini.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 7:56 AM

8 replies

Nov 1, 2021 8:04 AM in response to pvmac

Third Party Non Apple Internal Drives have been reported on these Forums as you are experiencing now . If that is the case some other Senior Contributor has mentioned putting the Original SSD back in to computer and upgrading to Monterey will be successful.

Realize - this mentd may limit storage capacities - but may still be able to switch out the Original Apple SSD and put the replacement back in and perform the upgrade to the specific drive.

Why that may work - the EFI BOOT ROM needs to be applied to the Computer and once that is achieved - presto.

Nov 1, 2021 8:42 AM in response to pvmac

Well - it known on the ASC Forums that Apple and Apple Computers are extremely picky as to Third Party Hardware being put into Apple Computer.

Just anything is just not doing to work.

That is exactly why on newer machine the RAM and SSD are soldered onto the LogicBoard. That and other issues which need not be discussed as that sways off the Technical purposes of these ASC Forums.

Just think - the substituted SSD must have passed the muster to achieve the Boot ROM needed to upgrade to Monterey

Mid 2015 MacBook Pro would not upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.