Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to airprint recommended Message won't go away

I keep getting a recurring notice in my printer queue reading 'Upgrade to airprint recommended'

If I click Upgrade, it never seems to fully upgrade whatever it is trying to do.

If I click cancel, then it goes away temporarily

In either situation, the notification keeps coming back about every 30 minutes

The notification shows as an exclamation point in the yellow triangle in my Canon printer app. I've upgraded all drivers and software from Canon. This seems to be a Mac OSx operationg system notice.

How do I get rid of this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:27 PM

Airprint doesn't require the installation of any printer drivers. However, if you want to use the printer with Airprint, then you will need to add a new printer and make sure to select "Airprint" from the drop down list box next to the "Use" option (unfortunately Apple's instructions omit this step and on Big Sur Airprint was not automatically selected for me). If you do this when "adding" the printer, then macOS should automatically configure the printer for you. See this Apple article for details:

Print wirelessly from your Mac to your printer - Apple Support

And this third party article which shows the drop down list box with "Airprint" as an option (see the picture in step# 5):

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-add-printer-to-mac

Once you add the printer as "Airprint", then you can delete the old printer which used the Canon drivers. It is possible the Canon drivers may provide more options than the Airprint drivers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 6:27 PM in response to msdker

Airprint doesn't require the installation of any printer drivers. However, if you want to use the printer with Airprint, then you will need to add a new printer and make sure to select "Airprint" from the drop down list box next to the "Use" option (unfortunately Apple's instructions omit this step and on Big Sur Airprint was not automatically selected for me). If you do this when "adding" the printer, then macOS should automatically configure the printer for you. See this Apple article for details:

Print wirelessly from your Mac to your printer - Apple Support

And this third party article which shows the drop down list box with "Airprint" as an option (see the picture in step# 5):

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-add-printer-to-mac

Once you add the printer as "Airprint", then you can delete the old printer which used the Canon drivers. It is possible the Canon drivers may provide more options than the Airprint drivers.

Upgrade to airprint recommended Message won't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.