Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some of my photos do not show up in Photos after editing however they are OK after transfering to an external drive as .jpegs

I have been using Photos for some time and it has always worked well. But lately some of my photos do not display in Photos, i.e they hold a place in the library but as a blank screen. However, I can make them appear by engaging the edit function but they disappear again after closing edit. I can export them to an external drive as .JPEGs and they are fine, complete with edit changes. So, I am not actually losing these photos, they simply do not display in Photos. I have upgraded to a Nikon D850, so the files are definitely larger than earlier, e.g 50 to 60 MB, but there does not appear to be a clear correlation between file size and whether or not they display. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:45 AM

Hi

Can I guess that you are editing raw files?

If so this seems to be a bug I was experiencing also - If it is the same problem I was seeing, reverting edits to original will bring the image back to normal - after which you can edit again without problems.

The workaround I used was:

Import the raw files

Select them all (in all photos view)

CMD-E (auto enhance)

Image menu>Revert to original (while they are all still selected)

From then on they all work fine.

(seems to be fixed in Big Sur for my raw files)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 1:45 AM in response to rodanddee

Hi

Can I guess that you are editing raw files?

If so this seems to be a bug I was experiencing also - If it is the same problem I was seeing, reverting edits to original will bring the image back to normal - after which you can edit again without problems.

The workaround I used was:

Import the raw files

Select them all (in all photos view)

CMD-E (auto enhance)

Image menu>Revert to original (while they are all still selected)

From then on they all work fine.

(seems to be fixed in Big Sur for my raw files)

Some of my photos do not show up in Photos after editing however they are OK after transfering to an external drive as .jpegs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.