Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System prefences icon click and hold

Just updated to Monterey. In previous versions of macOS, you could click and hold on the system preferences icon to see a list of all of the system settings. Right clicking on the icon or click and holding on the icon in the Dock no longer does this.

You can click and hold on the dotted menu at the top of the System Preferences window, but this doesn't seem to work from the Dock anymore. Any ideas why or if this behavior can be turned back on?

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 3:19 PM

i noticed in your second screenshot the the indicator dot for SP is on. if i click and hold the icon while the indicator dot is on, i see what you see.

however, when the indicator dot is off, i then can see the entire list that you want to see.

11 replies

Nov 3, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Carlos Garcia5

you're welcome. :) but i think i should add...

Carlos Garcia5 wrote:
but this behavior is different than past versions of MacOS,

what is here today is not necessarily going to be here tomorrow. things change all the time with advancements in macOS. for better or worse.

I don't think it makes sense to have this functionality only work when system preferences is not open

you can let apple know your feelings by providing feedback using the link below.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Nov 3, 2021 3:31 PM in response to dialabrain

Yes Jeffrey, you got it, but this behavior is different than past versions of MacOS, where I think this did work when even when System preferences was open (I use this all of the time). Even if that's not the case, I don't think it makes sense to have this functionality only work when system preferences is not open (using option + click, for example).

Thanks again for helping me solve this.

System prefences icon click and hold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.