Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB issues with MacOS Monterey

I upgraded to Monterey on Friday and since then have had trouble accessing any external drive (Spinning, SSD and USB/Memory Stick) regardless of whether directly connected via cable or via a hub (I tried two different hubs, one off-brand, one purchased from Apple - both worked fine previously, and still passes HDMI signals, for instance).

What I have tried:

• Replaced Cables
  • Swopped ports
  • Restarted
  • Reset PRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • Safe Mode

Resetting the PRAM worked yesterday, and I could work normally until I shut down my mac for the night. This morning no drives were accessible. Also, the PRAM trick did not work today.

I can access my drives in safe mode, which seems to indicate that it's not a hub/cable problem per se...

I have noticed that if I remove one hub after a while of working, and then plug it in again, both come up as well as directly connected SSD drive... (but not every time)

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:35 AM

Yes, I went through most of them to see if anybody found a workable solution...

I created a new post to add in what I have tried as well as to mention that unplugging one hub after working a while seems to bring up everything (for a reason I cannot for the life of me understand or explain) Unfortunately, It doesn't work every time...

Also, in case I missed a solution, (I hoped) someone could direct me to the right space to solve the problem.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 5:35 AM in response to lllaass

Yes, I went through most of them to see if anybody found a workable solution...

I created a new post to add in what I have tried as well as to mention that unplugging one hub after working a while seems to bring up everything (for a reason I cannot for the life of me understand or explain) Unfortunately, It doesn't work every time...

Also, in case I missed a solution, (I hoped) someone could direct me to the right space to solve the problem.

Nov 10, 2021 8:35 AM in response to SeanNel

Have been pulling my hair out with this. I bought new cables. The only thing that works is using USB-FI certified USB 3.1 gen1 or USB 3.0 gen1 cables.

Even the dell gen2 cable that came with my USB monitor only worked at usb 2.0 speeds, but replaced with a gen1 cable and it is connecting at 5gbps.

Now my display, dock and all devices are connecting properly.

USB issues with MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.