Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change my primary icloud email address?

I have an ugly icloud email address that i have never used and that i want to change to something more sensible und useful. I am able to create an alias but i havn't found a way how to get rid of or change the original ugly primary address.

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 6:21 AM

Ok, if I cannot delete my primary icloud email address then I would like to - at least - change it to something more meaningful. After all, there is no technical reason why an email address cannot be changed. Or can you think of any sensible reason for such a restrictive limitation?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 6:21 AM in response to tygb

Ok, if I cannot delete my primary icloud email address then I would like to - at least - change it to something more meaningful. After all, there is no technical reason why an email address cannot be changed. Or can you think of any sensible reason for such a restrictive limitation?

Nov 7, 2021 1:53 AM in response to tygb

I try to illustrate the situation with made-up names:

1) My Apple ID is "myname@gmail.com".

2) There is also an email address at icloud, lets say "bad_name@icloud.com"

I want to change (or delete) #2. When I log-in to my Apple account hovering the mouse over "bad_name@icloud.com" the bubble help tells me that this is an alias to my Apple ID. But unfortunately after that email alias there is no "X" button to delete it. Instead there is only a "?" button. When I log-in to my icloud account it says that there are 0 aliasses. So #2 seems to be something special, like an alias that can not be deleted or changed like any normal alias. In another context I found that it is called "primary icloud email address" which suggests that it is not simply an alias.

Anyway I want to get rid of "bad_name@icloud.com". How can I achieve this?

I once more contacted Apple support and they escalated this issue. I will report if they have found a solution.

Nov 7, 2021 1:21 AM in response to d2o

In your case if Apple ID is say first and last name @iCloud.com the prefix can't be changed , its permanent and if this apple id is signed in Mac , it will be activated , however to create this address the previous credentials of the account are utilised ( like answers for security questions , date of birth ) .

A person can create mail alias for the Apple ID Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

To answer d20 if he has created an Apple ID for her daughter , definitely the credentials were known to her , suppose he signed out Apple ID from Mac system presences , and daughter created an Apple ID and signed in , after that she changed each credentials for the account , and didn't revealed to to him , she will be owner of the Apple ID account .

Nov 7, 2021 5:25 AM in response to Hand0

There are now two Apple ID one is with gmail address , the other is for iCloud Apple ID address the passwords are kept same by you ( in fact the Apple ID password should never be repeated with different accounts , they should always be kept different ).

When you log in www.icloud.com using iCloud mail address the suggestions will be shown for previous account , as they were added in address book , and Apple ID address is also saved in safari preferences ( see the passwords section ) , enter admin password , you can click on the mail addresses , the two mail addresses with password will be physically shown .

its a mail suggestion that can be eliminated Remove obsolete email addresses in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

When I go to manage the alias, it says I have used 0/3 alias and it seems the iCloud address is a primary address.

Icloud address is a primary address as the Apple ID say example1@icloud.com is signed in Mac system preferences and it will be on the top list , there are zero alias that you have not created .

Nov 7, 2021 8:15 AM in response to d2o

The prefix added to iCloud domain is permanent on the server as designed by apple engineers and secured , no other person can copy and paste the same Apple ID address as for every account holder the credentials to create them will always differ than others , may be first and last name of persons are quite common but server will not accept if the apple id is tried to be created for the second time , however there is an option to erase the account from iCloud server , the Apple ID is immortal .

See the articles Security and your Apple ID – Apple Support

Apple takes the privacy of your personal information very seriously and employs industry-standard practices to safeguard your Apple ID.

iCloud security overview - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2021 12:57 AM in response to d2o

Not sure if my issue is exactly the same as d20 or not, but the answer posted by tygb isn't the answer to mine.

1. My Apple ID is not an iCloud address
  2. I created an Icloud address for my daughter to use. This was a bad idea because I didn't realise that it was essentially just my account. She would change the password and it was chaos - that would update mine, I would get locked out. It was so bad - I set her up her own Apple ID and she now has her own iCloud address.
  3. I now want to amend the address (which is her name) and there really doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

Can anyone help with this?

Nov 7, 2021 1:35 AM in response to tygb

I do not want to change my Apple ID. Instead I want to change my icloud.com email address which is different from my apple ID. It is exactly the same situation as described by Hand0. I have contacted Apple telephone support on this but they could not help me and promised to look into it and call me back later. Now a week has passed and there is still no answer from Apple support. Disappointing.

Can it really be that complicated (or even impossible) to change an email address??? Think about usability and customer centered design.

Nov 7, 2021 1:30 AM in response to tygb

Thanks tygb,

I did find the page you just posted when I followed the first link you posted.

At first I thought I had created an alias, but it seems a bit different (although to be honest I'm not sure how).

So say, I log into iCloud using the iCloud address I set up for my daughter, I end up at the same home page as if I logged with my Apple ID which is a gmail account.

So myname@gmail.com seems to be the same as daughtername@icloud.com - password is the same too.

When I go to manage the alias, it says I have used 0/3 alias and it seems the iCloud address is a primary address?

Do you know what this is?

Regards

How can I change my primary icloud email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.