Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAC Reader no longer works after Upgrade to Monterey

I see the CAC reader in the USB listing, I even reinstalled the drivers for my SCR3310,v2 CAC reader. However, after the system upgraded to Monterey...poof, I can no longer get into any sites that require my CAC. I also went into Military CAC and deleted, then reinstalled my certificates.

The problem is even if it opens (the certificate listing), it is blank. I used it for VMWare to work offsite but it now just shows up with a. blank in the certificate box. Need help and thanks. Hate that it worked before but no longer since it upgraded.

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 10:18 AM

Similar questions

35 replies

Dec 23, 2021 8:31 PM in response to Barney-15E

I have the new MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021) laptop. I've never installed anything. This computer came with Monterey 12.0.1. I tried the steps mentioned about about opening Terminal window and paste the long command, typing my password (twice), restarted, etc. I was never prompted to select a certificate, enter a PIN - nothing. It appears to STILL NOT be reading the car- reader (SCR3310 v2.0). Could really more assistance. Thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2021 6:14 PM in response to evanspa6523

What OS did you upgrade from?

Pre-Big Sur usually required CAC enabling software to work. Those same CAC enablers will prevent it from working in Big Sur and later. So, if you upgraded from an OS previous to Big Sur, you may still have the CAC Enabler software installed and it needs to be removed. MilitaryCAC.com has instructions somewhere on the site.

Nov 4, 2021 8:56 AM in response to Barney-15E

(RESOLVED) I had to go to the Terminal and do the commands it states in this link: https://militarycac.com/macuninstall.htm - I recall seeing this but it recommends I do it twice….after that and a restart, the certificates popped up. Hope this helps others who upgraded to Monterey because this really shut me down for a bit and even wasting money another CAC. I simply needed to "re-enable" my built-in Smart Card.

NOTE3: If you have recently updated to Mac OS Catalina (10.15.x), Mac OS Big Sur (11.00.x), or Mac OS Monterrey (12.00.x) you need to re-enable the built in Smart Card ability after removing all installed enablers listed above:

1. Remove your CAC from the reader

2. Open Terminal, by typing Terminal in the spotlight search

3. Copy the entire command below [starting with sudo, and ending with pivtoken] and paste it into the terminal window (or manually retype it)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array && sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard EnabledTokens -array com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken

3a. I recommend you run this command twice.

4. When prompted for your computer password, know that the cursor will not move, type it in, and hit enter to process.

5. After performing these steps, the built in smart card ability should be enabled.  

6. Logout of Terminal, 

7. Restart computer

Nov 3, 2021 8:00 AM in response to Barney-15E

Initially did it without the drivers before the suggestion was to install them. This all happened "after" Monterey upgraded on my system. Before that, no problems using the CAC. Bought a new CAC just to see if that does the trick....it still does not "prompt" for certificates although it clearly shows it as functional in the Systems Report and even after going into the terminal using the "pcsctest" command which shows "Command Successful" and the reader listed as SCR3310.

Nov 4, 2021 6:33 PM in response to mklepcyk1

Here is the update and what fixed it for me.

NOTE3: If you have recently updated to Mac OS Catalina (10.15.x), Mac OS Big Sur (11.00.x), or Mac OS Monterrey (12.00.x) you need to re-enable the built in Smart Card ability after removing all installed enablers listed above:

1. Remove your CAC from the reader

2. Open Terminal, by typing Terminal in the spotlight search

3. Copy the entire command below [starting with sudo, and ending with pivtoken] and paste it into the terminal window (or manually retype it)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array && sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard EnabledTokens -array com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken

3a. When prompted for your computer password, know that the cursor will not move, type it in, and hit enter to process

4. It is recommended you do the command again after this...no password will be prompted

5. After performing these steps, the built in smart card ability should be enabled (it should actually say that in terminal that it was re-enabled).  

6. Logout of Terminal, 

7. Restart computer

I was using VMware Horizon and it prompted the certificate immediately which is all I needed.

Dec 6, 2021 1:05 PM in response to evanspa6523

Thank you for sharing. I recently upgraded to Monterey and now trying to set up my SCR3310 v2 CAC reader (was never set up before). However, after following all the instructions on militarycac.com, my CAC reader still will not read the card it seems.

I get the following message:

"An unexpected error occured validating your certificate. In order to log in with your Smart Card, please close your browser and all tabs associated with it and try again using the Authentication certificate or log in with your LOGIN ID and Password."

Do I need additional software in order for CAC reader to read my card and display certificate options? What is "VMware Horizon" and do you have a link for it, assuming that is what I am missing?

Dec 6, 2021 1:14 PM in response to dmg222

Do I need additional software in order for CAC reader to read my card and display certificate options?

No. If you have ever installed anything to use that reader or your CAC, you must remove it.

If you haven’t installed anything, it should work. You won’t see anything in keychain access. You will only get a pop up dialog asking which certificate you want to use, then a PIN entry.

Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM in response to MLAG88

I need to install my military CAC for the first time.

There should be nothing to install.

Plug in the reader, plug in your CAC, use it when requested.

Don’t pair when requested. It does nothing to help you access CAC-protected services.

If you pair, you will need to use your CAC pin to authenticate Mac services, like logging into your Mac.

Dec 20, 2021 4:45 PM in response to dmg222

VMWare is something I was using for the military. But I did the steps in my earlier post and it worked. It was driving me crazy. After going into Terminal and following those steps, I basically had to reactivate my CAC reader where apparently the upgrade shut it down. Also, after I did it, it was no problem at all and no additional software in order for it to display the certificate options like others said. I have the same CAC reader and it worked with others as well after the steps.

Dec 23, 2021 9:11 PM in response to shenequa100

It appears to STILL NOT be reading the car- reader (SCR3310 v2.0). Could really more assistance. Thanks in advance.

If connected through a hub, try direct-connect to a USB port (with adapter if needed). You should see the light blink at least once when you connect it. If it doesn’t, it isn’t talking to your Mac.

As I said before, you should not need to do any installing or configuration. Hoping that running some random command you find on the Internet can only make things worse.

Jan 24, 2022 2:10 PM in response to evanspa6523

I have a related question, welcome any insight.

BLUF I have solved this problem by using Chrome (24" iMac M1 Monterey 12.0.1 Safari 15.1)

However-

Tried Safari to access DOD healthcare site using CAC login, Safari sees the certificates, asks me for PIN and then says "cannot establish a secure connection to the server".

Used Chrome on a whim and worked FIRST TIME no problems whatsoever.

What is up with Safari and DOD CAC Login?

I used to use Thursby PK software years ago but removed it all since CAC support is now integral to Mac OS, I double checked and it's definitely not there.

CAC Reader no longer works after Upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.