Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated my Apple ID on my phone because I no longer have access to the email that it was previously. Now I can’t put the new Apple ID within my iPad it’s directing me to sign in using the old email. How can I switch the Apple ID?

I updated my Apple ID on my phone because I no longer have access to the email that it was previously. Now I can’t put the new Apple ID within my iPad it’s directing me to sign in using the old email. How can I switch the Apple ID? Every time I press the sign out it also redirects me to sign in the old Apple ID

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:59 PM

Can the iPad connect to the Internet? If not, or you just did this change very recently, the iPad may not know about the change you just did.

Please click on this link and read "What to do after [or before] you change your Apple ID [email address] or password" ➔ https://support.apple.com/HT204071 - "After you change your Apple ID email address or password, you might need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services you're using." - Or if you're seeing persistent disabled messages or repeated requests for the password to your previous Apple ID. You may also wish to turn off "Find My" before changing information and turn it on again afterward.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 1:59 PM in response to courteney260

Can the iPad connect to the Internet? If not, or you just did this change very recently, the iPad may not know about the change you just did.

Please click on this link and read "What to do after [or before] you change your Apple ID [email address] or password" ➔ https://support.apple.com/HT204071 - "After you change your Apple ID email address or password, you might need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services you're using." - Or if you're seeing persistent disabled messages or repeated requests for the password to your previous Apple ID. You may also wish to turn off "Find My" before changing information and turn it on again afterward.

Nov 11, 2021 11:25 AM in response to courteney260

I had what seems like the same problem. I changed my Apple ID a few years ago, but I've long been "notified" that I need to update my password in Settings. Every time I went to do that, it asked for the password for my old Apple ID -- I don't know that password, I no longer have access to the recovery email, and Settings would not let me change the Apple ID even though I have been using it since then. I just lived with this "badge notification."

When I switched my cellphone carrier recently, it came to a head because I lost access to iMessage. I think this was a manifestation of the same problem. So here is what I did, and now it all works fine:

• I turned my iPhone off then back on again (maybe not a necessary step, but it seemed like a good, hopeful step.
  • I went into Settings and clicked on the top selection (MyName, Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases).
  • I turned off iCloud and signed out of Apple ID, even though it showed the correct Apple ID at the top. It gave me several prompts, and I saved things where it seemed appropriate.
  • I signed in again to my Apple ID (again with my current ID and password).
  • I checked everything.
  • I had to manually enter the security codes on credit cards in Apple Wallet for some reason.
  • I synced my phone with my Mac desktop, just to save everything. But first, I noticed that somehow my backup had gotten changed from "this Mac" to iCloud backup. I manually changed this back to "this Mac" then ran a backup and synced my iPhone.
  • That was a week ago, and everything seems to be back to normal now. I have iMessage again, and I don't get those pesky notifications that I need to update some old Apple ID that no longer exists.

This solution seems pretty similar to others I've seen, but some things I didn't do and they seem unnecessary. I also found a couple changes I did not make that I needed to correct, so I would suggest checking everything that might use Apple ID.

I made an appointment with Apple Support when I was struggling with the problem, but got it resolved before that phone call.

I updated my Apple ID on my phone because I no longer have access to the email that it was previously. Now I can’t put the new Apple ID within my iPad it’s directing me to sign in using the old email. How can I switch the Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.