Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 5: Problems with the Smart Album Rule: Album is not Any

I read through the posted method (short of using the script) to fix this issue (where using "not any" still reports phantom albums. This is really shoddy that it was left unfixed as a known bug. Any simply methods to fix? Rebuild library can work sometimes, but always scares me.

If my photos album is updated to Photos 6 version, I assume that my Catalina iMac will never be able to read it again, correct? I only have a Macbook that is later than Catalina and that is not where the photos gets redone.

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:59 PM

It has been fixed in Big Sur, if your mac is able to be upgraded, but Photos 5 can't read a library that has been upgraded for a later version.

What might work, is if you upgrade the library on the Big Sur Macbook, sync that with iCloud, and then sync iCloud to a new empty library on the iMac - then make sure not to delete any albums before removing the contents of the album.

Obviously you'll need at least one month of an iCloud plan big enough to store your whole library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2021 3:59 PM in response to AJH466

It has been fixed in Big Sur, if your mac is able to be upgraded, but Photos 5 can't read a library that has been upgraded for a later version.

What might work, is if you upgrade the library on the Big Sur Macbook, sync that with iCloud, and then sync iCloud to a new empty library on the iMac - then make sure not to delete any albums before removing the contents of the album.

Obviously you'll need at least one month of an iCloud plan big enough to store your whole library.

Photos 5: Problems with the Smart Album Rule: Album is not Any

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.