Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay issue with Zoom & iPad (M1) & Mac mini

Hey there!

I've got a new iPad Pro M1 and a Mac mini M1.

Like everyone, I use Zoom all. the. time.

I used to be able to share my iPad screen to the Mac mini in Zoom over Airplay.

But since I upgraded to Monterey (I think?), the iPad doesn't want to connect with the Mac mini's Zoom window over AirPlay.

It tells me:

AirPlay: Unable to connect to Mac Mini.

I am on the same WiFi network, it works when connecting using a cable, and it used to work (like, ones of weeks ago).

What's going on, and, perhaps more importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:00 PM

15 replies

Nov 3, 2021 10:44 AM in response to mslichty

Hello mslichty,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, it sounds like Zoom isn't working with AirPlay over Wi-Fi. We'll do what we can to help.

If it's just Zoom you can't use AirPlay with, troubleshoot the app itself:

If other apps are having issues with AirPlay over Wi-Fi, try checking the settings to your Wi-Fi network first since it's only happening with Wi-Fi: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Best regards.

Jan 6, 2022 2:52 PM in response to G. L. Gray

Indeed G.L. you're right! That does permit one to again share an iOS device in a window while using Zoom! It must mean that when AirPlay is running it's interfering with or preventing the bluetooth connection with Zoom functioning.

However, this work-around still does not permit one to make a bluetooth connection between an iOS device and the Mac from your bluetooth settings on either the iOS device or the Mac. if I try to connect either of my iOS devices to the computer (even with AirPlay turned off). I still consistently get errors, saying 'Pairing Unsuccessful, "Robert's Mkbk M1 Pro 14" not supported, which is the error I've been getting ever since I installed Monterey 12.1 and was the issue that I talked to Apple Support about, both the people at the Genius Bar and the online Higher Support Apple people. They basically admitted that with Mac OS 12.1, this is not working. I also went back to an older Intel Mac of mine on which I've installed Mac OS 12.1 and bluetooth with iOS devices isn't working anymore on that Mac, either, confirming that it's the OS and not the hardware I think.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion for using Zoom. It does seem to work!

Jan 1, 2022 10:14 AM in response to mslichty

Hi

I'm having this same problem with an M1 MacBook Pro running Monterey. Can't connect iOS devices reliably during Zoom sessions. Sometimes the MacBook Pro doesn't appear in the list of Screen Mirroring options with the appropriate 'Zoom' label and when it does, trying to connect leads to an error. What I have found is that trying to connect any iOS device to the MacBook Pro via bluetooth leads to problems. Sometimes the Mac doesn't appear in the list of Bluetooth devices to which I'm trying to connect. When it does appear and I connect to it the iOS device always disconnects after a few seconds or a few minutes. I took the Mac to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they ran tests, said the Mac is fine, the problem lies with a problem with bluetooth and the M1 Macs and Monterey. My guess is that Zoom because it's using Bluetooth to connect iOS devices to the computer the bluetooth incompatibilities are the source. of the problem. By the way, none of this is happening on my other MacBook Pro (Intel Mac). Zoom works fine with my iOS devices, sharing them just as always.

Jan 3, 2022 5:16 PM in response to rcrutcher

I've been having these same issues with trying to share my iOS devices to the Mac during Zoom sessions. The problem is bluetooth and trying to connect iOS devices to your Mac. The source of the problem is NOT the M1 Mac but the OS, Monterey. I'm having these problems on both an M2 MacBook Pro AND on an Intel MacBook Pro, both running Monterey. I KNOW it's a problem with Monterey 12.1. I'm not sure about the earlier version of Monterey. Anyone who is running Monterey 12.1, try connecting your iOS devices to your Mac via bluetooth. Your devices either won't connect or will connect and then immediately disconnect.

Previously, running Big Sur, I had no problems whatsoever with the old Intel MacBook Pro and Zoom. I was able to share all of my iOS devices. Since updating the Intel Mac to Monterey, specifically Monterey 12.1, I can no longer share iOS devices while running Zoom on the Mac. The other Mac, my M1 MacBook Pro has been having the problems pretty much from the beginning I believe.

I've talked to Apple Support several times and been to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Both places have confirmed the problem of connecting iOS devices to the Mac when running Monterey 12.1. They suggest I use Airplay. But as everyone probably already knows, this new version of Airplay forces your iOS device to take over the entire Mac screen (basically your Mac simply mirrors the iOS device's display). Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with Zoom, and if somehow you do get your iOS device to show up on the screen during your Zoom session, you can no longer control your Zoom session while the iOS device is showing. And if you record the session, you'll end up with a recording of a black screen not of your iOS device.

In my opinion, this is a serious problem and Apple needs to fix the Mac OS, so that we can still use bluetooth when needed to connect our iOS devices. I guessing that a lot of online streamers and people teaching online courses are going to be pretty upset when they try to use Zoom on their Macs and find they can't share the screens of their iOS devices during a session. And there are other situations where a bluetooth connection to an iOS device is needed -- e.g. using your MacBook Keyboard to type on your Mac and an iOS device (e.g. 1Keyboard is one such App).

Airplay issue with Zoom & iPad (M1) & Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.