Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad Icon - "Install macOS Monterey" - Cannot Remove

I successfully updated my 2021 iMac to macOS Monterey. There is an icon that remains in my Launchpad, "Install macOS Monterey"

I am unable to get rid of it.

I tried long-pressing it, which enters edit mode for Launchpad. There is no "X" showing next to this icon that would allow me to remove it, though.

I have been unable to locate the file on my Mac to delete it.

I've seen similar posts, but other folks have been able to click the "X" after long-pressing. Has anyone figured out how to remove this when the "X" does not appear?

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:11 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 2, 2021 5:38 PM in response to HardlinesPro

HardlinesPro wrote:

I successfully updated my 2021 iMac to macOS Monterey. There is an icon that remains in my Launchpad, "Install macOS Monterey"

I am unable to get rid of it.

I tried long-pressing it, which enters edit mode for Launchpad. There is no "X" showing next to this icon that would allow me to remove it, though.

I have been unable to locate the file on my Mac to delete it.

I've seen similar posts, but other folks have been able to click the "X" after long-pressing. Has anyone figured out how to remove this when the "X" does not appear?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6402ce24-3b53-4521-a6de-c006412b4c93

If it is no longer in your Applications folder simply try dragging it to the trashcan.

Typically if the Upgrade installed the ghost that is left in Luanch Pad has a ? mark on it.

Look at >About this Mac, that it actually installed...

Nov 2, 2021 5:25 PM in response to HardlinesPro

It originally is in /Applications.

However, it should auto-delete itself after installation. That might be why you can't delete it--it doesn't actually exist.

Another thought which I am not sure about is the installer is on an external disk. Maybe it doesn't let you delete those apps. I don't use LaunchPad at all, and I don't have an external drive with me to test out my theory.

Launchpad Icon - "Install macOS Monterey" - Cannot Remove

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.