Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icon from launchpad visible on desktop

Mac Mini 2020

Monterey

I openend launchpad.

I Clicked on an application-icon.

The application did not start/open

Instead of that, the application-icon was visible on the screen, as an image but not clickable.

After I used [ctrl][alt][esc] stopped the finder ... after that the icon was small. (See the small icon left-above the red-dot.)

I cannot remove it ... only after restarting the Mac Mini.

The same occurred on my Mac mini 2014 with lower Mac-OS-versions.

Anybody any idea?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 3:58 AM

Details.

On January 2nd I posted that the persisting icon always appears on the torpor of launchpad. That was right.

But ... not completely right. The persisting icon appears only the moment I typed the name of the wanted-to-use app in the search-field. And after that opened the app by clicking on the name of the wanted-to-use app ... that's why I thought the persisting icon only appears on the top.

My solution: I moved the most-used-apps to the first page of Launchpad ... and that is much lesser than 35 ... the number of app's that can be seen on the fitst page of Lauchpad.

So I managed the problem but did not solved it ... that's something for the developers of Apple.

I thank you all for the attention and your attitude to help me.

John.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 3:58 AM in response to John Van Der Kaap

Details.

On January 2nd I posted that the persisting icon always appears on the torpor of launchpad. That was right.

But ... not completely right. The persisting icon appears only the moment I typed the name of the wanted-to-use app in the search-field. And after that opened the app by clicking on the name of the wanted-to-use app ... that's why I thought the persisting icon only appears on the top.

My solution: I moved the most-used-apps to the first page of Launchpad ... and that is much lesser than 35 ... the number of app's that can be seen on the fitst page of Lauchpad.

So I managed the problem but did not solved it ... that's something for the developers of Apple.

I thank you all for the attention and your attitude to help me.

John.

Jan 2, 2022 7:07 AM in response to John Van Der Kaap

Thanks for your attention.

The persistent icon pops up now and then, irregular and unexpected. Once in two-to-six weeks.

It pops up at the moment I click on an application in Launchpad. The location where it pops up on the desktop is the same position as is stands in Launchpad. And is has always the same size … until last time … on one way or the other is was very downsized. The application it self is not started.

The corresponding fact in all appearances is that it is always aan icon at the top-row of Launchpad.

It popped up on my Mac Mini 2014, several OS-versions … as well on my Mac Mini 2020 under Mojave.

It popped up as well at Mac- as non-Mac applications.

The only way to remove the persistent icon is to close the Mac and restart.

icon from launchpad visible on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.