Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2021 Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max ethernet capability

Will the thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter work with the 2021 Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max?

Although this adapter is not listed on the apple website as being compatible with this machine, has anyone had success accessing the internet via ethernet with this adapter?

Which ethernet adapters are the owners of 16" 2021 Macbook Pro using? The website is not showing that any ethernet adapters are "compatible" with this machine.

(Here's hoping they just forgot to update their listing...)

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 4:02 AM

23 replies

Apr 15, 2022 6:03 AM in response to sieversjr

Well I have discovered unfortunately that both the Belkin F2CU040 and the Lention CU604 E both exhibit the same issues with intermittent drop of connection after used for some time. I checked with Lention and Belkin and even though the adapters do get warm as you use for an extended period of time, they stay within the proper temperature range.

Still occurs on the latest macOS 12.3.1 release and based upon a lot of testing, I am convinced it is a problem within macOS. The built-in wireless can operate without failure but USBC/ThunderBolt 4 connected adapters are having some kind of issue that is impacting the protocol stack. Simply unplugging and re-plugging the adapter clears the condition without having to reboot macOS but it will return to the same condition after a period of time. Have also noticed that the condition can be cleared by unplugging "other" USBC/ThunderBolt 4 connected devices (such as an iPhone).

I can reproduce the problem within a few hours and would like to somehow capture the condition and then get this over the Apple developers so they could analyze and repair the problem in a future release. Anyone know how to get that accomplished for capturing the condition and submitting to the proper online area so Apple sees it?

Nov 3, 2021 5:35 AM in response to KiamichiKidd

KiamichiKidd wrote:

Will the thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter work with the 2021 Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max?

Although this adapter is not listed on the apple website as being compatible with this machine, has anyone had success accessing the internet via ethernet with this adapter?

Which ethernet adapters are the owners of 16" 2021 Macbook Pro using? The website is not showing that any ethernet adapters are "compatible" with this machine.

(Here's hoping they just forgot to update their listing...)

The adapter is how you use Ethernet on a USBC /thunderbolt port.

I suspect you are or correct the page has not been updated to include the new hardware release as of yet.

Nov 28, 2021 4:27 PM in response to tobias-mobile

The Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter sold in the Apple online store mostly works, but some users have reported that it fails under heavy loads, and one reported that it does attain throughputs over about 500M bits/sec.

The latest software update, which would be 12.0.1 at this writing, is said to fix this and all other USB-C to Ethernet adapters that use Realtek 8150 series chips.

Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter -- $29.95

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter?fnode=5609350a867034cbc0f2e166095fc62e2e94daac045bdcad956ffa5e52bf28a9de33a915e511e6f484ec6b1d475fd8cb6b1f8f2b880f9711c236cd040170da8d4bf625208adc2975eb420c2b57a27cee8bbdd46ed20e6d35bf5fc9c73011bfa0

Jan 20, 2022 11:11 AM in response to KiamichiKidd

I have had the same question, and contacting Apple isn't going to help because on numerous occasions, their employees made me buy items that DID NOT work on the new laptop. You are correct in saying they have NOT updated the compatibility informations anywhere yet since their launch, ridiculous sadly and very confusing for the consumers as we try to navigate what we can and cannot buy. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

So anyways here is your answer!

Long story short, no you cannot use prior "regular" Thunderbolts on Pro M1. The ports for it no longer exist on it.

There is, however, Thunderbolt 4 on it, which is basically the same appearance as a USB-C, visually.

You will need a dongle for regular USB.

You will need a dongle for Ethernet.

Apple doesn't even make a Thunderbolt 4 to Ethernet dongle. They sell a Belkin one tho!

Hope that helps :)

Nov 20, 2021 4:52 PM in response to KiamichiKidd

There is also a more capable (and more expensive) adapter than can go up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and also supports 5Gb 2.5Gb 1Gb 100Mb, and 10Mb speeds as well. Native support is already present in 10.13 and above, as it uses the same chip as the iMac Pro and Mac Pro 2019.

One from OtherWorldComputing/MacSales for US$169

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ADP10GBE/

One from SonnetTech for US$229

https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/solo-10g

at top speed, the adapter tend to get hot, which is why these are packaged in a metal enclosure with fins.

Jan 4, 2022 9:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I just installed the Belkin gigabit cable purchased from Apple. I get 950 Mbps down and 35 up, then a few minutes later, it is down to 150/20. The adapter feels warm to the touch. Restarting MBP M1 Max and unplugging the adapter will deliver one more high speed session, followed by the same drop in speed. Appears that the $29 solution is inadequate.

Feb 17, 2022 6:29 AM in response to cheeweechong

I had the same issue and I've tried several different ones from StarTech to Sabrent and none of them worked. Was on the phone with StarTech's tech support and had to tell them that their driver installation stated that it was only for Intel based Macs. He told me he was not aware of that. Supposedly, the ones from OWC and Sonnet work with the M1 Max, but they are nowhere to be found in stock anywhere. Then I purchased this one from Amazon and it worked like a charm, no drivers or anything to download, just plug and play.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0856V9FDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 3, 2022 11:11 AM in response to MrBill IGH

I agree, the Apple support team is clueless on this one. However, I have found that the one from Cable Matters is working pretty good without issues. I initially had some issues, but they sent me a new one and have had any problems with it for the last 2 weeks - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0856V9FDH/?coliid=I26I9V44HW9QWE&colid=BQ4QADGRQLTS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mar 14, 2022 12:26 PM in response to kenichi208

I found that the ethernet connection issues weren't necessarily related to the adapter(s). I first used the Belkin adapter purchased from Apple. When it acted up, I thought it was due to temperature, but cooling did not help. Then I connected an OWC gigabit adapter and it worked for a while, then didn't.

Switching the port connection worked for me. My monitor, a TB expansion brick, and the adapter are utilizing the Bus' - I switched them around until the Mac was happy. Using the Belkin adapter in Bus 0 now with no issues. Connex speed averages 945mbps here in the middle of Idaho.

Mar 22, 2022 10:36 PM in response to MrBill IGH

I was having reliability issues with Belkin F2CU040 on the M1 Max 16" MacBook Pro and adapter would randomly just keep dropping out.

Found an alternative that appears to work reliably and does not exhibit the same problems:

Lention Model CU604 E works very good - Have been using this with daily work and heavy duty network streaming and feel like I finally have the wired ethernet working as it should. I used Feedback assistant, asked for help, and provided a lot of data to help find a solution but did not get any feedback - so I found a solution that appears to work.

2021 Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max ethernet capability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.