Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I share a photos library with another Apple ID?

I would like to share all photos taken on my Apple ID with my wife, and have access on my phone/computer to all photos she takes. We have had this for years by signing into all our apple devices with the same ID, which has been great for 10 years. We shared contacts, photos, website passwords, browsing history...lots of stuff. Which was super convenient, because either of us could go to any device and everything was the same. If her Uncle got a new email address, she could change it in her phone, and the change showed up in my phone and both of our Macs. But, unfortunately, AirPods somehow use the Apple ID - so neither of us could use our AirPods when we were near each other.

So we split so that we could use AirPods when riding with each other in the car, and I had to reconfigure everything. We can handle most of the issues...but now we don't share photos. We're constantly trying to remember who took what photos on which phone. AND, now our entire 75,000 picture library is only on one computer.

Is there a way to share an entire photo library between 2 apple ID's? It seems like it would be easy to have 2 Apple ID's shoot new photos to a singular iCloud Photo Library that would be visible on several devices. If one Apple ID can sync photos between devices, why couldn't 2 Apple ID's send photos to a Shared Photo Library?

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 7:48 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 3, 2021 8:50 AM in response to hcourtney1004

It would be nice, but that is not how it is designed.

The only way I know of to make this work is to have the library on an external drive plugged into a single mac. Have two user accounts on the mac - one for you one for your wife, connected to your individual iCloud accounts. Both accounts should use this library as the system library.

External drive must be APFS or MacOS extended (journalled) with the ignore ownership bit set. Directly connected (no ethernet, no wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Main down side is you each have an iCloud library with all the photos duplicated - so you need double the iCloud space.

Nov 3, 2021 10:56 AM in response to TonyCollinet

You can share a Photos Library, as Tony described. It will work well for a secondary library. But you may encounter problems, when sharing the System Photos Library this way. The System Photos Library is special. Only the System Photos Library can be syncing with iCloud Photos. If you want to use the shared library with iCloud Photos, you both have to designate it as the System Photos Library.

The big problem is, that the System Photos Library will always be in use by the background processes, while you are signed into your user account. You will always have to sign out, so the library is no longer in use by you, before the other one can sign into the account; fast user switching will not be possible. And the scanning of the library for faces, objects, places will be difficult, as you cannot stay signed in while you are not using the Mac and your partner wants to use the Mac.

I would only share an archive of all photos this way, but keep separate libraries with my favourites in a smaller library, specifically selected for iCloud. My iCloud Photos Library is still small enough to fit on all my devices (but one Mac with a very small SSD), and so I can use iCloud Photos on nearly all devices without having to fall back on "Optimize Storage". My favourite photos are available on all devices, even without an internet connection.

How can I share a photos library with another Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.