Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage

Hi

I’m trying to find out how much storage I have available to see how much music I can reasonably add on Apple Music. In the iPhone storage section of settings it says that I have used 47.2 GB out of 120GB, while if I scroll down to music storage I 57.88GB used. That doesn’t make sense. Can someone please explain this to me. I have an iPhone 7.

Thanks

Michael.

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 1:35 PM

Hi mrrviolao,

Thanks for getting back to us. Which iPhone model and iOS version is this happening on? If you haven't already done so, let's ensure you've updated your device to the latest iOS in case this is a storage reporting issue that's been addressed in a bug fix:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 1:35 PM in response to mrrviolao

Hi mrrviolao,

Thanks for getting back to us. Which iPhone model and iOS version is this happening on? If you haven't already done so, let's ensure you've updated your device to the latest iOS in case this is a storage reporting issue that's been addressed in a bug fix:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers.

Nov 4, 2021 10:05 AM in response to mrrviolao

Hello mrrviolao,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We see that you have a question regarding how much storage Music is using on your iPhone and we'd be happy to help.

Did you recently set up this iPhone, turn on Sync Library, start an Apple Music subscription, download new music, or make any other changes on the iPhone? From what you've described, the 58.88 GB that you're seeing should indicate how much storage is actually being used on the iPhone for downloaded music, however, it's possible some of this music has not finished downloading to your device.

When you go to Settings > Music > Downloaded Music, does this number match what you're seeing in the other location? Is Optimize Storage enabled for Music?

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

Take care.

Nov 4, 2021 10:55 AM in response to MichelleT18

Hi

Thanks for the reply. As of now, in settings > music > downloaded music it’s at 60.1GB, while in storage space section it’s 57.88GB. iPhone storage is now at 45.5GB. However the colour graphic shows that I’m using about 2/3 of 120GB, which should closer to 80GB.

I haven’t done anything special with the phone lately, I have been with Apple Music for a while. Optimized storage is not enabled.

Michael.

iPhone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.