Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine back up is really slow to access

I had to do a clean in stall of the OS and when I went to use my Time Machine back up to restore from using Migration Assistant, it was taking days to complete and never did finish. I thought it was an issue with Migration Assistant, so I thought I would manually drop the files from the Time Machine back up, but that's the same thing.

I can see all the files on the drive, but access feels slow. For instance, a single 2gb file copies over really quickly, but a folder with a number of files totalling 2gb takes about an hour, or more. Trying to copy my 350gb Photos library and Finder says "preparing to copy for two hours now before even starting to copy. Who knows how long it will take, if ever.

Tried on another Mac and using another cable. It's Thunderbolt 2 and USB2. Nothing fixes it. Why is this happening and could it be related to the files being a Time Machine back up? I'm very worried as this is my back up of all my files!!

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 2:47 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 4, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy,

Do you know if your USB drive supports USB 3, or have access to a USB 3 drive? We ask as the page here mentions, "If your backup disk is a USB disk, or a USB disk attached to a NAS device, ensure the disk supports USB 3 and is connected to a USB 3 port on your device."

If Time Machine is slow on Mac

With macOS Big Sur and later, Time Machine performance is significantly improved when using an APFS-formatted backup disk. Do you know which format your drive is currently in? If not, you can check in Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities), and then select the drive to check the format it lists.

Are you using the latest version of macOS Monterey, or one of the earlier macOS versions?

Take care.

Time Machine back up is really slow to access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.