You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a scam message on my Mac

The message on my Apple computer looked like it came from Apple, I called the #on the screen. I was told my phone and my computer was hacked and I was on a site - *********** that was against the law. I was told to contact my credit card and bank . Fortunately I called I used my husbands phone to call, because they said, my phone and my computer had been hacked.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 3:41 PM

11 replies

Nov 3, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Waverly1956

Waverly1956 Said:

"I have a scam message on my Mac: How can I talk to a live person?"

-------

Contacting Apple Support

Call Apple Support directly and request assistance with your Apple Account. Request to speak to Apple Store Staff for assistance with securing your account.

Contacting Apple:

Also...

Modify your Credentials:

Having so much suspicion, consider modifying your credentials, ASAP, starting with a new password.

Nov 3, 2021 4:07 PM in response to stedman1

The message was on my computer, it said don’t turn off the computer. It said my phone had been compromised as well. Told me to contact my credit card companies. I kept getting calls from Hawaii and Florida, which I did not answer. A few days ago I had a friend request from someone I know who lives in Ca. I accepted the request and then he was sending messages saying , he got money back from the Lions Club and I could too. It asked for my name, address, birthdate, phone etc. it then asked me to make a copy of the front and back of my drivers license, which I didn’t do, then I knew it was a scam. Could they have gotten information from my name and address and my birthday? Lee

Nov 3, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Waverly1956

Waverly1956 Said:

"I have a scam message on my Mac: Fortunately I called I used my husbands phone to call, because they said, my phone and my computer had been hacked."

-------

Report this to Apple:

Someone is perpetrating Apple, making it appear as though it is them. So, forward this eMail to Apple at: reportphishing@apple.com

It is a phishing scam, and you fell of it :(

Nov 3, 2021 4:16 PM in response to Waverly1956

Yes, we understand that the message was on your computer, but you need to understand that it, and any such message will be a scam, 100% of the time, no exceptions. The important thing now, is how you dealt with the scam message. Did you call the number? And if so, what information did you divulge? Did you allow the scammers to access your computer?

Note: As stated above, this is a user-to-user support forum, thus there is no one here to call.

Nov 4, 2021 3:03 AM in response to Waverly1956

One has already talked to a Live Person " the Scammers " - that message appearing on the computer screen was placed there by Them to TRICK you to phone them.

By doing so - that validates they have a possible person to target for more things including Apple ID Password, Bank Account information etc.

Depending on what information one has divulged on the phone - one might be compromised.

I have a scam message on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.