Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep personal hotspot connection from disconnecting when putting iPad in sleep mode.

So I recently started my iPhone as a personal hotspot. We are moving cross-country and I as a passenger would like to be able to use the internet on my iPad for emails, videos, etc. I tried it out and it works great! Only problem is when I need to take a break from the iPad, I put it in sleep mode by pressing the on/off button. When I do this and return to the iPad later, I have to reconnect the iPad all over again to the hotspot. This is frustrating because I have to turn off the personal hotspot on the phone, turn it back on, find it on the iPad, enter the password, and reconnect. Do I really have to do this each time I want to get back on the internet and use the iPad?

Thanks for any advice!

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:41 AM

When correctly configured, assuming that both the iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, your iPad should be able to automatically initiate the hotspot connection with your iPhone.

On your iPad, check this setting:

Settings > WiFi > Auto-Join Hot Spot - set to Automatic

These support pages may be helpful:

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 6:41 AM in response to luciekitty04

When correctly configured, assuming that both the iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, your iPad should be able to automatically initiate the hotspot connection with your iPhone.

On your iPad, check this setting:

Settings > WiFi > Auto-Join Hot Spot - set to Automatic

These support pages may be helpful:

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

How to keep personal hotspot connection from disconnecting when putting iPad in sleep mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.