Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get more room on my hard drive minimac m1 --using iCloud. What and how apps or photos can I transfer to iCloud to make room for the Monterey?

Running out of room on my minimac m1 hard drive. What programs or files can I transfer to my

iCloud account? Are music files permissible? Or photos?

Thank you,

Delooka4u

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 7:25 PM

Hi,

You cannot remove content from your Mac and move it to iCloud, because in doing so, it will have to be removed from iCloud overall. iCloud is a synching service. You cannot move apps to iCloud either.

You should instead, get an external drive and once it has been properly reformatted, off-load files you don't use often to it. In the case of music and photos, maybe anything you haven't used in a year, move to an album or folder and then, manually move to the new drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 7:25 PM in response to delooka4u

Hi,

You cannot remove content from your Mac and move it to iCloud, because in doing so, it will have to be removed from iCloud overall. iCloud is a synching service. You cannot move apps to iCloud either.

You should instead, get an external drive and once it has been properly reformatted, off-load files you don't use often to it. In the case of music and photos, maybe anything you haven't used in a year, move to an album or folder and then, manually move to the new drive.

How to get more room on my hard drive minimac m1 --using iCloud. What and how apps or photos can I transfer to iCloud to make room for the Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.