Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate backup says I can't save changes to files on the disk

I need to make an appointment with Genius Bar. My Seagate backup slim must be damaged...hasn't backed up since Oct. 23, 2021. Message reads: you can't save changes to files on the disk. Should I just buy a new one?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 7:57 AM

You can try running a Disk Utility Repair/FirstAid on that drive when it is not busy. It may have a minor problem that can be repaired.

But I suggest you may want to ADD a drive, rather than replace that drive.

You can ADD another drive to Time Machine, and it will begin a new stand-alone backup set onto it, starting with today. Then every-other backup will be done using every-other drive until one is removed.

Without another backup set, the Genius Bar can't do anything magical. they will just tell you its not working, and you already know that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 7:57 AM in response to MicLS

You can try running a Disk Utility Repair/FirstAid on that drive when it is not busy. It may have a minor problem that can be repaired.

But I suggest you may want to ADD a drive, rather than replace that drive.

You can ADD another drive to Time Machine, and it will begin a new stand-alone backup set onto it, starting with today. Then every-other backup will be done using every-other drive until one is removed.

Without another backup set, the Genius Bar can't do anything magical. they will just tell you its not working, and you already know that.

Nov 4, 2021 8:11 AM in response to MicLS

Download and run DriveDx, post the report for the Seagate drive here.

From that, we see what that tool reports for the Seagate drive.

Hard disk failures can and do happen, as can volume corruptions.

If you’re particularly concerned about the availability of your data, running two Time Machine backups in parallel is fairly common choice. With that, you can have some depth of backups maintained, even if one of the backup drive fails. Or even if Time Machine gets tangled. Which can happen.

Seagate backup says I can't save changes to files on the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.