Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro constantly restarts while I am working

I have a New MBP with Monterey; I love the computer. But, the computer just restarts while I am working. The reports are being sent each time to Apple. Is this a problem with Monterey or with the new MBP? Or, both? And, how is this corrected? I have the latest update. My computer restarts with no problems, but it is upsetting to loose what I have worked on with a restart.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 12:55 AM

First thing that stands out: uninstall Clamxav. Multiple "antivirus" applications are a cause of trouble. MalwareBytes is the only one I would keep, and not have it running permanently in the background.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Second thing: uninstall Cocktail.

See if there is any difference.

Also, the Canon software is very old, though it is probably not the cause of the panic.

When moving to a new mac, I strongly recommend to ONLY migrate the user accounts, and not applications, settings or other files.

Since this is a new mac, I would try reinstalling and do as above. If it is still crashing, then there is a chance you may have a lemmon, so take advantage of the 14 day window and return it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 12:55 AM in response to fcgiles

First thing that stands out: uninstall Clamxav. Multiple "antivirus" applications are a cause of trouble. MalwareBytes is the only one I would keep, and not have it running permanently in the background.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

Second thing: uninstall Cocktail.

See if there is any difference.

Also, the Canon software is very old, though it is probably not the cause of the panic.

When moving to a new mac, I strongly recommend to ONLY migrate the user accounts, and not applications, settings or other files.

Since this is a new mac, I would try reinstalling and do as above. If it is still crashing, then there is a chance you may have a lemmon, so take advantage of the 14 day window and return it.

Nov 6, 2021 11:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you so much; I have removed and cleared all of the problems and it seems my problem is solved. If it happens again, I will format my computer and start over. Great advice and I really appreciate it. I did not know about Etrecheck and that was a huge help. The Canon software is for our printers that we use without any problems, so I will keep that software. I have also removed the apps for virus protection from my iMac.

I miss our local Mac club that met for 20+years; so depend of the Forum for help. Thank you again.

Nov 4, 2021 10:49 AM in response to fcgiles

These seem to be kernel panics. They can have two causes: a hardware problem or a software issue (kernel extensions, daemons that modify how the system works at a low level can cause this, especially if they are too old).

In order for us to try and figure out whether your problem is with hardware or software,

please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

New MacBook Pro constantly restarts while I am working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.