Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro restarts by itself after upgrade on Monterey

After my Mac Pro (late 2013) gets updated to Monterey it happened many time that my mac just restarted itself because of a problem. It happens always in sleep mode, but never during working.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 11:14 PM

igorhifi Said:

"Mac Pro restarts by itself after upgrade on Monterey: After my Mac Pro (late 2013) gets updated to Monterey it happened many time that my mac just restarted itself because of a problem. It happens always in sleep mode, but never during working."

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The volume is apparently corrupt.  So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 11:14 PM in response to igorhifi

igorhifi Said:

"Mac Pro restarts by itself after upgrade on Monterey: After my Mac Pro (late 2013) gets updated to Monterey it happened many time that my mac just restarted itself because of a problem. It happens always in sleep mode, but never during working."

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The volume is apparently corrupt.  So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall.

Feb 18, 2022 5:04 PM in response to igorhifi

igorhifi Said:

"Mac Pro restarts by itself after upgrade on Monterey: After reinstalling current OsX Monterey (12.2.1) Mac restarts by itself again. After restarting the same error: [...]After new restart (by itself) I am not able to start the App from dock anymore. I restarted Mac and dock is working again."

-------

Get this Serviced:

👍 Excellent job troubleshooting with the reinstall! If restarting the Mac this is the only route to take on you own, then I suggest you contact Apple Support, seeing if you can get this serviced.

Contact Apple Support:

If purchased from Apple, or covered under AppleCare, then get this serviced by Apple.

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as necessary
  • Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. And that makes sense because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

B. Contact an AASP: 

Also, take this to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service provider), asking for assistance.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix this issue.

Feb 26, 2022 7:37 PM in response to igorhifi

igorhifi Said:

"After a week with sleep function turned off, it doesn’t start by itself at all. If I turn on the option, it restarts itself after a few hours.[...]After a week with sleep function turned off, it doesn’t start by itself at all. If I turn on the option, it restarts itself after a few hours."

-------

Where to go from here...

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

Being a continuum of restarts, I'd say just reinstall the macOS anew, as if you were to sell it. See my User Tip: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TMB Prior to Upgrade - User Tip. Format the hard drive with the applicable macOS on step D.

In Depth:

Pretty much, it is a matter of:

1. Erasing: and formatting your hard drive to APFS
  2. Installing: [the applicable macOS] via a USB Bootable Installer
  3. Restoring: info from a Time Machine Backup, using Migration Assist

Feb 26, 2022 3:41 AM in response to TheLittles

After a week with sleep function turned off, it doesn’t start by itself at all. If I turn on the option, it restarts itself after a few hours.

Apple's support does not responding to this problem.

With my PowerBook Pro, the problem is even bigger because the sleep feature is more important than with the MacPro.

However, the PowerBook Pro doesn’t restart by itself all the time, but it’s so slow you can’t work with it. To use it, restarting is the only option, even if you don’t know if it will help or not. Sometimes after rebooting it works nice and smooth sometimes not.

Threfore I decided to install the original version (Sierra), but even that I can't do that because every time I run the installation I get a message that the file has an error. I really don’t know what to do throw it away or what?

Mac Pro restarts by itself after upgrade on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.