Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro late 2013 - Monterey upgrade. Mac restarts after engaging shutdown. Help!

After my upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey. When I go shutdown, it doesn’t shutdown and goes into restart. Restart is not a normal restart as when you hear the Apple startup sound. I have reset VRAM, SMC and reinstalled Monterey. Also I have no peripherals or drives connected, issue persists. I can only shutdown via “hard shutdown” by the Mac power button.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 2:07 AM

Hi there :-)

Mount/Unmount, didn't work. I found the issue by taking a stab at reading the report file. I'm ignorant at Code. Though the report mentioned panics related to some old KEXT files. Even though I deleted the old apps affiliated with these files, the KEXT files remained. I used an external startup disc to be able to access these files and simply trash them. All is fine now. Cheers :)

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2022 2:07 AM in response to TheLittles

Hi there :-)

Mount/Unmount, didn't work. I found the issue by taking a stab at reading the report file. I'm ignorant at Code. Though the report mentioned panics related to some old KEXT files. Even though I deleted the old apps affiliated with these files, the KEXT files remained. I used an external startup disc to be able to access these files and simply trash them. All is fine now. Cheers :)

Nov 11, 2022 8:16 PM in response to KrisInBerlin

KrisInBerlin Said:

"Mac Pro late 2013 - Monterey upgrade. Mac restarts after engaging shutdown. Help!: After my upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey. When I go shutdown, it doesn’t shutdown and goes into restart. [...]"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop on an M1 Mac:

Is this consistent? If so, it seems you are in a Boot Loop. So, refer to the following...

Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

Nov 13, 2022 12:09 AM in response to KrisInBerlin

KrisInBerlin Said:

"Mac Pro late 2013 - Monterey upgrade. Mac restarts after engaging shutdown. Help!: I'm not using an M1, it's a Mac Pro late 2013 : Here's my crash report:"

-------

Thank you for the crash report.

Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. If it looks dulled-out, you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

Nov 9, 2022 10:31 AM in response to KrisInBerlin

It is extremely unlikely to be an unresolved bug in MacOS. It is far, far more likely a software conflict with something you installed.

The quick test is to restart in Safe mode, where no third-party add-ons can be auto-loaded.

the more complex way to to retrieve the crash report and post it here for analysis.

please keep readers informed about what you decide to do, or for additional recommendations.

Nov 11, 2022 8:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant, unfortunately I needed to revert back to Big Sur because I need to work but can't upgrade to the new Logic Pro in Big Sur which is awful.

My software has not changed since Catalina & Big Sur except for app updates. I never had any issues with a new OS update, ever except with Monterey. Which is the last update for my dated Mac.

It's a guess, though I believe with this new addition of "Universal Control" in Monterey (which is not compatible with a Mac Pro Late 2013) may be the culprit?

There's also no way (that I know of) that you can delete this new Mac app from the system or shut it off. I did notice it randomly spikes my CPU with no apps running, and it may be causing a kernel panic at shut down with a spike which kicks in a restart.

Nov 13, 2022 6:21 AM in response to KrisInBerlin

seeing this third party driver at the 'scene of the crime' suggests it is the cause:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.coriolis-systems.driver.Snapshot(123.0)[D5FF7465-F50B-31F7-9F48-95605BCB7050]@0xffffff7fb3ef6000->0xffffff7fb3f68fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[58C6FBAD-E214-3CCD-A845-FAC6E5F3958C]@0xffffff801cb79000->0xffffff801cb8ffff

Mac Pro late 2013 - Monterey upgrade. Mac restarts after engaging shutdown. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.