Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2018 crashes unexpectedly after upgrading to Monterye

After I upgraded to Monterey It happens quite frequently that my Mac mini shuts down and restarts. Also I observed that during booting the fill goes to one third, then the screen becomes black and when the screen is back, booting is almost done. Anybody made similar observations?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:52 AM

10 replies

Oct 29, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Cancerinform

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Oct 29, 2021 7:14 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the answers so far. I have used Etrecheck and cleaned up some things. I don't want to show the report though, which I don't really consider so private. Tonight it nevertheless restarted again. I have the ClamX virus program still running but for decades never had a problem with that. May be the crash report can tell something.

Oct 29, 2021 6:19 AM in response to Cancerinform

Next time this happens note the exact time. After restart open the Console app and first look to see if there is a Crash Report with that exact time and post the results from the beginning of the report to the crashed threads. Do not post uncrashed threads. If no Crash Report, go to System Logs in the Console and look for the crash time you noted and post the results around the crash time.

Nov 15, 2021 9:21 AM in response to Cancerinform

I can now describe the problem more precisely. The problem occurs, when the computer was at sleep with a VPN connected and then awakes with the VPN still connected. When the VPN was disconnected before going to sleep and reconnected after awake, the problem does not occur, neither does it, when directly after awake the VPN was disconnected and then reconnected. So it is something connected to the computer going to sleep.

Mac mini 2018 crashes unexpectedly after upgrading to Monterye

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.