Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After OS upgrade from Catalina to Monterey - iMac restarts by itself after shut down

I am using iMac 2020. Just upgraded to Monterey 12.2.1 from Catalina and it was running stable so far through out the whole day. When I shut down the iMac after finishing all the works, it took sometime to shut down with the USB device light off. After 10 to15 seconds, iMac restarted by itself and then showed a system crash screen saying "Your computer was restarted because of a problem". After a while, it restarted and entered into desktop screen with a dialog box "Your computer was restarted because of a problem". I clicked "Ignore" (because I have sent the same report many times), it was working normal. The problem is, I want to shut down the machine but it always restarts by itself after shut down. Unless I switch off the mains power.

This is a wonderful experience which I don't have before in using so many versions of MacOS. May be Monterey requires the user to switch off the mains power, otherwise it will wake up in order remind you.

Any assistance or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 8:11 AM

The Lacie Big2 does not have updated firmware. Therefore the work around solution I made was creating an application called "Steps before Shutdown" using Mac Automator to quit all applications and eject Lacie drive. After running the application, I shut down iMac. The shutdown time is much shorter and it does not wake up and restart.

I have tried my work around solution many times and it was 100% working fine.

Thank you!

J.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 8:11 AM in response to Wpjwong

The Lacie Big2 does not have updated firmware. Therefore the work around solution I made was creating an application called "Steps before Shutdown" using Mac Automator to quit all applications and eject Lacie drive. After running the application, I shut down iMac. The shutdown time is much shorter and it does not wake up and restart.

I have tried my work around solution many times and it was 100% working fine.

Thank you!

J.

Mar 14, 2022 5:00 AM in response to dominic23

I have tried to update all the 3rd party software. If some of the apps could not be updated, I have removed it. Same result. Eventually I found that if I unmount the external drive (Lacie External Disk) before shut down, Monterey can shut down properly without restarting again. Will see if there is any driver update on Lacie drives.

Thank you for the assistance!!

J.

After OS upgrade from Catalina to Monterey - iMac restarts by itself after shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.