Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac restarts repeatedly when external drives are connected

My iMac (14,3) has started rebooting when any external drive is connected to any port at any time. It starts with a trackpad freeze, then a restart without any message. I've tried starting in Safe Mode and it still happens. No issues when no external drives are connected. I reinstalled the OS (Catalina) in the hopes that would fix the issue, but it did not. I'm starting to think it is not a software issue, but a hardware problem with the ports. A short, perhaps? Nothing seems loose.

Thank for the assistance.

Dani

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 7:41 AM

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Dani Wray

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jul 18, 2021 7:39 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thank you, SeaPapp. However, I did both yesterday and there was no subsequent change to the behavior of the machine. In total, I have done the following:

1. Tested each external drive with each port. I have 2 that use Firewire and 2 that use usb. I changed up the ports to see if I could identify I single problematic port, but all exhibited the same behaviors.
  2. I reset the PRAM and the SMC. No change in behavior.
  3. I restarted in Safe Mode. No change in behavior.
  4. I turned off all login apps. No change in behavior.

I'm stumped. The iMac functions well without any external drives attached.

Dani

Jul 18, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Dani Wray

• There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.
  • GlobalProtectExtension
  • daisydiskapp

Above are just few of the issues I noticed, I suspect there are more. To be honest and please accept my apology in advance for being blunt your system is a big mess. I would seriously consider doing an erase and install and starting over.

Jul 18, 2021 3:21 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you, rkaufmann87.

The new M1 iMac I have ordered should arrive in 3-4 weeks and I plan on wiping this ssd drive and setting it up for my grandkids to use for school. Hopefully this will fix the issue, but I'm still not convinced this is a software problem. I can't plug any external drive in without the computer restarting. I guess I'll find out when I do it.

Thanks, everybody.

Dani

iMac restarts repeatedly when external drives are connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.